Friday, April 27, 2012

lucky 7

I've been tagged for a meme, and since I'm FINALLY at the tail-end of a major manuscript revision, I'm posting it.  Here's the gig:

1. Go to page 77 of your current manuscript.
2. Go to line 7.
3. Copy the next 7 sentences exactly how they're written. No cheating!
4. Tag 7 other writers to pass this meme on to.
 
So, here's what I've got in my (tentatively titled) work in progress, Across the River:
 
“When?” June asked.
            “All this past week.  Every morning.  Some big shot disc jockey called him up for a fishing report and Maw’s practically a regular on his show now.”
            “No kidding.”
            “I hear he went over to Northport and talked to some ad agency.  Spent all his savings on some posters and signs and matchbooks.”  Arlyce shook her head.  
 
Gripping, right?
That's what I thought, too.  I've got 70 pages left to slog through and I plan to reward myself by taking a shower when I'm finished.  Hopefully I finish today, because I've got a hot date to watch West Side Story and eat at Flanagan's tonight. I'm not tagging 7 other writers, but I will post a shout-out to the two writers who tagged ME:  Kim Kasch and Rena Jones--check out their sites.  If you're a fellow blogger, you're technically a writer, so feel free to participate!  Happy weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Nope, no manuscripts for me! ;-) Seems like a fun thing to do though. I could give you page 77 of the book I'm reading right now, but that's the best I could do ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only place I write is on my blog, so I went to my 77th post (from Feb 2010), started on the 7th line, and found these as the next 7 sentences.

    This invention may have done more to further civilization than anything else. And that is all I am going to say about toilets.

    So while I was sanctifying the shower stall walls, I prayed intercessorily. I want to add that I do pray for y’all at many other times, not just while cleaning the bathroom. This was prayer and bathroom sanctification double-tasking, which should be biblically okay, since it says somewhere in there “pray continually.”

    Long-time readers of this blog, of which there is only one, will note that the last time the bathroom on this blog was cleaned was November 1, 2008. No comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No manuscript here, but Jen (on the edge) and I just plugged Whipped, Not Beaten over on Jen Lancaster's facebook page. She's looking for newish writers to promote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the very least, your excerpt gives me hope that I, too, one day will receive a call from a big shot disc jockey and make my name giving fishing reports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a page 1.... Now I'm all, "77 PAGES??? WOW!" I will never have that many. I shouldn't say that. One day, I may have 77 pages.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.