Monday, April 30, 2012

one good citizen

It's cold and damp and I have 75 tree seedlings to plant.  Really, it's perfect weather for tree-planting, but I'm not convicted since I'm cozy inside right now.  Perhaps this afternoon, after I mop the floors and start dinner.  I'll pull on the green Wellies, bundle up in an extra jacket, grab gloves and get going. 

Tonight I'm slated to present A History of the Constitution & The Importance of Being a Good Citizen to a group of Boy Scouts.  I have about an hour.  I'm supposed to touch on Reconstruction, The Emancipation Proclamation, Civil Rights Movement, Respecting the Flag and Patriotism.   I know what you're thinking:  this oughta be good...   But I actually have a decent opener--I thought I'd give groups of scouts a newspaper and scissors and tell them to cut out any article that wouldn't exist without our Constitution. Imagine what would remain--mainly the advertisements.

Team Testosterone and I cleaned the ditches this weekend.  They were the cleanest they've ever been since we've moved out here.  It is noteworthy that a guy drove past and flicked out his cigarette butt while we were picking up garbage.  I thought Mr. T would run after his car, he was so outraged.  But the trash on our property has reduced over the years, in part, I think, because we keep things clean.   The weirdest things we found were a mangled pair of surgical scissors and a deer leg (which really isn't that weird after last week's skull discovery.  It's actually weirder NOT to find a deer carcass on our property).

Friday night we saw West Side Story and I was so relieved that they stuck to Jerome Robbins' original choreography.  I imagine it's tempting to modernize it, but they didn't.  The understudy for Tony was pretty mediocre, but other than that it was a great performance.  The sets and costumes were noteworthy. Beforehand we had a really nice dinner at Flanagan's and felt like we were all that in our private booth, and then the head chef, who we know, came out to visit a bit with us after our meal.  Yeah, that's how Mr. D and I roll...a few times a year.  We drank a bottle of Hob Nob Pinot Noir.  I highly recommend it--a very bright wine.

From high heels at the theater to mucking in the ditches in Wellies.  My range is better than Tony's understudy.




10 comments:

  1. I love West Side Story! Our high school's music department puts on a Broadway musical every year and this year's, Guys and Dolls, looks to be very good. I'm looking forward to it! Good luck with the scouts. Someday a constitutional question will arise and one of them will remember the answer because YOU explained it. How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is some nasty stuff in ditches. I would've been mad at the cigarette flicker too. So rude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "From high heels at the theater to mucking in the ditches in Wellies. My range is better than Tony's understudy." Those are my favorite two sentences read all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. High heels to ditches...that sounds like the beginning of a story ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of trees?

    Love West Side Story. Leonard Bernstein was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New trees are fun! More fun than trashy ditches anyway! I imagine that you get some interesting stuff. We used to live on a neighborhood corner and when we bought the house the corner planter had high evergreen shrubs. It was quite an adventure in anthropology when we cut those shrubs out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "..My range is better than Tony's understudy..." = heehee!! lovesit.

    Those cigarette flickers are no joke...bastards. They can be responsible for brush fires that might burn thousands of acres in my state...it seems as if we have them every year... * : ( not always sparked by a cigarette, but sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, I love how you're going to open up your lecture on the Constitution. Brava. I can't wait to hear about it afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  9. West Side Story now that brings up some good memories

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.