Wednesday, May 30, 2012

balls

Last night ended Mr. D's baseball season--he helps coach Happyland High School's varsity team.  While he was watching their playoff dreams die, I sat in the dugout at Mr. B's game with a good view of the scoreboard.  I'd watched only one inning and the mood was tense.  HHS played a good team and they've been in a slump for two weeks.  How tough not to shake it off.

While Mr. D's team struggled (valiantly), I kept the book and managed Mr. B's cadet league team.  Mr. B pitched for his first time ever and I think he did pretty well.  His team won their game, 8-3, and I have to say I really like being in his team's dugout.  It's a great group of kids, all very nice, respectful, good sports, good teammates.  They try hard and have fun.  They ask a million questions ("When do I bat next?"  "When will I get to pitch?"  "How many outs do we have?"  "What's the score?"  "How long is this bat?") and only one kid seems to not want to be there.

Sadly, Mr. B is a great hitter, but he's having a tough time at the plate this year.  Coincidentally he's been referred to an optometrist. So, this afternoon we're heading to an eye doctor to determine if Mr. B needs glasses, which would probably help his fielding and hitting if that's the case.  Stay tuned.  Frankly, of all three of my boys, Mr. B's the most responsible and least destructive so the least likely to lose or break his glasses if he requires them. (Clarification:  he's been the least destructive since toddlerhood.  He kind of had an obsession with water and caused extensive damage at our house for a number of years.  I've saved the bills for posterity--seriously, they're in his baby book.  Mr. B compulsively clogged toilets by flushing things down them, once he plugged a sink and let it run, flooding our basement and another time ran a garden hose into our living room and turned the water on full blast.  All this happened before he turned 5.  Since turning 5 he's channeled his passion for all things water-related to swimming and reading books about ocean life and sharks.)

After Mr. B's game, he and I hauled ass across the field, gear thumping against our backs as we hustled to watch Mr. G's soccer game.  I love watching my kids play--they give 100% effort and seem to enjoy themselves.  Mr. G's a fast runner and likes competition.  I drove the Momvan home with two winners in my back seat. 

Thank goodness we live in a small town where everything takes place in one park area--we're running ragged a few nights each week between soccer and baseball games and practices.  And as if all that fun at the park wasn't enough, Team Testosterone closed out the night playing Cherry Bomb Kickball in our driveway until I made them go to bed.  Everywhere I step there is a baseball, a basketball, a soccer ball, a kick ball, a beach ball, a wiffle ball, even the occasional golf ball.

Spill it, reader.  Does anyone at your house play ball?

19 comments:

  1. We did and we're done. The hardest year was when we juggled 2 travel baseball teams (one of which DOTR coached) and one travel softball team. We spent nearly every anniversary for about 10 in separate ball parks. It was the best of times and the worst of times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm just entering into the ball-centric portion of life. My girls got a mini basketball hoop and basketball, and a soccer ball, for their birthday. They are the new toy obsessions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are extremely nonathletic. I have tried everything to get them out to play any kind of ball. That said D10 is planning on playing tackle football this year and starts exercising with the other kids next week. Maybe. We'll give it a try.

    J13 did flush a baby bottle pop down the toilet when he was about three. That was fun. It resulted in a new toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks goodness my kids get their athleticism from their father.. Both play ball and I too LOVE to watch every inning/out/quarter

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're taking a leave of absence this summer from sports, but that doesn't mean there's not balls all over the house and the yard and the gravel lot across the street...and even when they're not playing, balls are usually the hot topic of conversations (even if it's not sports related..shaking my head..no parenting book ever warned of this!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. no balls at my house unless the grandkids come. there usually weren't any when the kids were growing up. their interests ran more toward reading and bike riding and exploring abandoned farm sites in the area. Oh and tubing down the river that runs along the north edge of the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soccer balls everywhere in my house. Seriously, my husband cannot seem to keep his gear corralled.

    As a mother with two girls in glasses, my advice is to buy Mr. B two pairs and also invest in one of those little glasses repair kits. We get the girls' glasses through our eye doctor, which is more expensive up front, but we get free repairs and replacement while the frames are under warranty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember one cold, rainy, January day - my son kicked a soccer ball through the frontroom window. I remember another day my daughter put a tennis ball through the neighbors window. I remember another day...well, let's just say, "I'd rather have those balls in the house - rather than "threw" the window;D"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't play sports but I am becoming, here in my middle life, a sports fan. Little by little, I find myself engaged in watching more sports. College football was my gateway drug, then college baseball, followed by a taste of NFL coverage. The latest was genuine interest in the Indy 500, which I watched this past Sunday with my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No sports here. Not that we're opposed to sports, we just have no affinity for athletics at all. All we have to do is look at a ball and we fall down. For us it's all music, all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What was the reason for running a garden hose to the living room?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soccer balls all over the yard. Footballs from the boy across the street on the front porch. Random balls from the park across the other street (we live on the corner and have 5 "across the street" neighbors, not including the park). Tennis balls all over the inside of the house, including one not entirely wedged under the radiator next to the desk I'm typing this from.
    There is also a badminton set and tent sitting on my front porch, as well as a few frisbees.

    I had a sister that flushed everything down the toilet. I may have taught my baby brother how you can stick a hose between the french doors in the dining room, close them and walk away. Growing up, water battle was what our family did for fun and clearly, it got ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We don't currently have any kind of ball players around here. My son used to play football when he was in school. I really miss those games. I'm hoping my grandson will follow in his Daddy's footsteps and play when he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  14. EVERYONE in my house plays with nearly every type of ball - basketball, football, soccer, rugby, baseball, kickball, four square. Seems like the favorite ball these days is the oversized playground ball. I am happy to be the audience.

    I love that you saved the bills in his baby book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not anymore but when my girls where little we would have lots of soft balls that they would play with around the house ones that were less likely to break things they hit.......it was often loud and full on here back in those days.......lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. My oldest son plays baseball. He's on a league team and a tournament team. He playd basketball in the winter and that seems to be going year round almost. They just had their last practice this week and he's going to b-ball camp in June for a week.

    My younger son plays baseball on his league team and is only doing one tournament this year. He prefers pucks and skates.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that your kids love to play so much! I don't see a whole lot of that in the city. Reminds me of playing outside when I was a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.