Wednesday, May 9, 2012

die hard

I've been reading, reading, reading.  Last night I flopped on the bed and switched on the TV to rest my eyes.  I'm used to finding nothing good in 60+ channels, but to my surprise I found Die Hard on channel 60 and Little House on the Prairie on channel 61.  The LHP episode was right after Nancy got adopted by the Olsens and goes around town being a total bitch to everybody, including locking one girl in an ice house overnight, requiring a visit to Doc Baker.  Naturally Pa is the hero, but Laura implements a plan of vengeance the whole town enjoys.  Happy endings all around.  I couldn't recall the revenge, so I kept flipping over to LHP during commercial breaks to find out.  Aha.  A "mermade" tank, where people can dunk Nancy and her sausage curls. 

But Die Hard--oh weren't the 80's a grand time for movies?  Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop, The Goonies, Tootsie, Caddyshack, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Princess Bride, Ghostbusters, Hoosiers, Big, almost everything decent by John Hughes.  (Notable films NOT on my list include all the horror flicks which I refused to watch even though my friends did.  I hid my face during most of Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Chucky and The Exorcist.) 

I adored "John McClane/Roy's" vendetta against the European terrorists, led by Hans Gruber played by Alan Rickman who provided me with one of my earliest moments of inner conflict.  (Another early moment of inner conflict involved David Lee Roth in the Jump video, but that's a story for another day.)  Here's the thing:  he's the head bad guy in this movie, but I kept finding myself oddly attracted to him.  Was it the accent?  Certainly not the beard.  The suit?  The scene where he thinks fast on his feet and tells John he's not a terrorist, please don't shoot when he's looking for the detonators?  Of course I rooted for Bruce Willis as the cowboy hero, but Hans Gruber had his own strange appeal. Bruce Willis was cocky, sexy, clever and brave.  I'd nursed a crush on him starting back in his Moonlighting days.  But what was up with this Alan Rickman fella?  Now I know, but when I was 16 I didn't.

Do you blame me?  See for yourself.  Then:



Now:

alan rickman die hard. Alan Rickman (Die Hard,

Die Hard, like most of my other favorite movies, mixes up action and comedy.  Even though I've watched it at least a hundred times, I watched it for the 101st time last night.  I remembered how in high school we'd rent it on VHS and bring it back to Sarah's house and hang out in her den, eating chips, drinking soda, rooting for Bruce Willis and quoting all his best lines.  "Yippie kai yay, motherf*cker."  "Nine million terrorists in the world and I gotta kill one with feet smaller than my sister."  " No f*cking shit, lady. Does it sound like I'm ordering a pizza?"  " Eeeh! Sorry Hans, wrong guess. Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change"   "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."  " That was Gary Cooper, asshole."  " Welcome to the party, pal"

Ah, I could still quote so much of the movie.  That was the great thing about being a teenager in the 80's--we'd rent those videos over and over and over again and commit every scene to memory.  Do kids still do that these days?  

The Avengers was magnificent, but Die Hard is still terrific.  Despite the ginormous 80's hair and computers I loved it all over again.  And that Bruce Willis.  After all these years I still adore him in that role as John McClure.
  

12 comments:

  1. I think it's Nellie on LHP :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never a fan of Die Hard, but I loved Little House. Dude, Nellie was adopted?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, Alan Rickman . . . one of my loves :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves watching older movies.... all I have to do is walk through the family room when he's watching one, and glance at the TV... the hair, the clothes, and the music is always a dead giveaway that it's an 80's movie....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh, Alan Rickman! Wow, that man is hot! He's so not my type but he has that indefinable THING. I even loved him in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

    Die Hard is so good and I was in love with Bruce Willis, too. Quoting movies is one of the things that ties people together, don't you think?

    As much as I loved the Little House books, I was always a bit "meh" about the tv show. Had a bit of a crush on Michael Landon, though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously. Why don't we have as many good movies these days as we did in the 80's? Everything is a sequel now. Sad.
    I loved Allen Rickman in Robin Hood: Men in Tights and also (of course) Love Actually but not so much in Die Hard. He kind of looked like the devil to me. Must have been the beard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to know all the lines to 'Ferris Buller's Day Off'. That's my alltime favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering who Nancy was on LHP--thanks, anonymous and Lisa.

    Would you believe I've never seen Die Hard all the way through. Not sure how I missed that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE Alan Rickman! Loved him in Die Hard. That was a tough one, because I loved Bruce Willis too. I was pulling for the good guy AND the bad guy. I think Alan's character was so funny and dry. His delivery with that accent so droll and wonderful. I loved him in Galaxy Quest too. Very funny movie.
    Bruce did look good all musceley and sweaty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We loooove Die Hard. My husband calls it a classic. Of course we consider it a Christmas movie!
    ...and for Tara. My husband still has a Save Ferris tshirt. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty in Pink came on one night last week as I was home alone watching TV. Of course I sat up way too late to watch it.

    I can report that tween girls still watch the same movie over and over and yes, know all the lines and act out scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flicking through the channels a few months ago, I caught Die Hard. I was surprised at how funny it was all these years later. Those lines you quoted are genius!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.