Friday, May 18, 2012

let's dance

One of the stars on my ipod shuffle died yesterday.  I've confessed before to having a weird running soundtrack that meshes alternative/punk with disco, but truth be told, I almost exclusively run to disco music.  Here's why:  you cannot listen to disco and be sad.  Since running does not make me happy, adding that bouncy, sexy groove in my ears makes it much, much better.  (True story:  sometimes I'll even stop midstride and break into a diva dance move on the road if I'm sure no cars are coming and no one except Schuh's cows will see me.  In these moments I'm wearing a silky dress with a swirly skirt instead of a sweaty t-shirt and my hair is huge instead of damply clinging to my skull.  Yes, there is a disco ball illuminating me with glittery light.)

My favorite disco diva and I go way back.  When I was a kid, these albums were in my parents' collection:



 





Just those costumes she wore made her all that to a 10-year-old girl.  I mean, she was like a real-life Barbie doll.   Donna Summer was the predecessor to the Madonnas and Lady GaGas and all of their spin-offs. 
Whether listening to her on my parents' stereo or on the radio at the five and dime, I always pictured Donna Summer looking like this when she sang:

Donna Summer: Summer performs under a disco ball in 2005

Look at that woman.  She kicked ass. 
Her songs make me think of summertime and heat.  Romance and sex.  Power and grace.  Strength and independence.  And roller skating for some reason.  RIP, Donna Summer.  And thanks for filling my ipod shuffle with awesomeness.


20 comments:

  1. Being a bit older than you, Disco to me was creepy guys in open shirts with gold chains and platform shoes who arrived too late on the scene to be anything more than creepy. However, I always did like Donna Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is disco that way? It seemed so awful when it was in its heyday. I'm finding that it's true that you can't listen to disco and be sad. At Jazzercise lately there have been a couple of disco songs in the mix. I find those particular songs spur me on to do the high-impact rather than the low-impact, to move more rather than less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was saddened by her death. And now that I see all these album covers in a row, I am wondering where my copy of "On The Radio" went? Hmmm... Must go look. Although, why bother? Ryan took the record player to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in college, disco was king. There were a handful of places in town with live music or a DJ and my friends and I would go out dancing after our grubby little jobs at KFC or Kmart, and men bought us drinks and kept us out on the dance floor until last call. It was just a small window before marriage and motherhood changed our listening habits to Sesame Street and Raffi. So much fun--and Donna Summer was there too. My, but that girl could sing. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never ran to Donna Summer, but listening to that video I can totally feel it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad her music will live on. She totally rocked it and I recall dancing til all hours of the night to her sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Disco ALWAYS makes me think of roller skating!

    Last Dance is the first song on my workout playlist - it's a great warm up song since it starts slow and then grooves into that great disco beat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm older than you are (cough, cough), so I actually remember "going out" to dance and spinning around a dance floor to Donna Summer's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Bad Girls" was the best damn song to roller skate to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right. I'm so sad though...perhaps because I don't have the radio on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was sad to see she passed, too. what a talent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. RIP Donna Summers...she was the seventies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She was a favorite of mine as well. So sad. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. soy simpatico, mi hermana. ::thumps chest, kiss & backwards peace sign::

    ...and it's Summer, Pandy...singular. respect. I know you mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are spot on with what her music evokes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My memory of Donna Summer; a guy I was seeing in 1978 asked my older sister what he could get me as a gift. She told him a Donna Summer album, which he did. When I openened the album I was confused, my sister was a big Donna Summer fan, I knew her music but I didn't have a record player, as my sister did. Guess who got ownership of the album!?! Big sisters, you gotta love 'em. (I did like Donna Summer as well and did a lot of dancing around the living room to that album.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Donna Summer did kick ass. No one better to sing to. God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. we recently went out with friends to a bar and the juke box played disco...we had so much fun rembering....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, Donna Summer... her passing revealed something new to my mister. He had no idea that his missus knows all the words to Last Dance. It's good to still be able to surprise him.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.