Tuesday, May 15, 2012

you dig?

I do.  I spent most of Sunday and yesterday digging in the dirt and I'm going to dig again today.  Last winter I scored a little greenhouse and I started a bunch of seeds I saved from last year's pumpkins, gourds, beans and peppers.   Everything sprouted, which is about the most exciting thing about planting a seed, and because I was SUPER enthusiastic about saving seeds and starting them, I'm drowning in pumpkins and gourds.  (If you're local and want some, let me know.  And HistoryGirl, you too!)  I've never had any luck planting watermelon seeds, but I started some in the greenhouse. I've got high hopes for my watermelon seedlings.

The big bed is tucked in for the season.  It's full of zucchini, gourds, pumpkins, sunflowers, tomatoes and the marigold Mr. T grew for a science project.  The strawberry bed looks promising (finally) and the asparagus is taking root in its second year.  We've enjoyed volunteer lettuce all spring and I've got cilantro coming up nicely by the strawberries.   I'm trugging around seed packets and trowel, transplanting something here, moving something there.  I could spend hours dawdling outside, attacking weeds, watering flowers, deadheading and picking.  Unfortunately, the gardener's busiest time of the year butts up against baseball's busiest time of year so I'm running from dawn until dusk. 


Mr. G really wants to help plant, so I'm holding off on beans and peas and the rest of the sunflowers until he has free time.   But the tiny seeds, like beets and spinach, I'll plant myself.

Sunday, after a fair amount of earth-moving, I treated myself to one of these:


It was fruity and a bit tart, a good summer beer by New Belgium Brewing.  Plus the label couldn't be cuter.  You know what it tasted like?  Another.

Spill it, reader.  You dig?

13 comments:

  1. Love it!!!! I'm going to have to look this one up...or is it one of those pesky, amazing, sold only in WI beers? A friend sent us home with a care package from St. Louis filled with the best selection of their locals....it made it to Alabama, but not much farther lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm . . . a good beer in summer is very nice.

    I'm so pleased for Emma --some of her seeds have already sprouted! She's very excited, and has been watering them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute beverage!

    Last year we had watermelon in our garden and I will say it took forever for the seeds to sprout. Seriously like over a month! The seeds have been planted this year too, but aren't up yet, but I hope they do come up at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely dig, although this year I've been focused on flowers and not so much on vegetables and herbs. In fact, this will be the smallest kitchen garden I've put in in several years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Digging is a form of therapy for me. I definitely dig. And then love to enjoy a nice cold adult beverage as a treat following my digging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not much of a beer drinking fan, but I have noticed really cute labels on some of the brands when buying a six pack for Hubby. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I planted some sunflowers in a big pot and they're about an inch tall alread. My boys always like to plant green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i brought a big planter home from my mom's house but have no idea what i'm going to put in it. probably this weekend i'll go to the nursery and get some plants. i want to have a few patio plants (since that's all i have room for).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get in a big fury for a couple of weekends with the planting and then I let my husband take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG do I dig...I dig and dig and dig...but the problem is I'm so used to liquid sunshine that I forget to water, water, water and then my plants shrivel, shrivel, shrivel...but the LS will be back to save the day - no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love getting my hands deep in good earth. We only have the onions in, so far, but are mind-boggled with all of the projects we want to get done this spring. We, too, are working from dawn to dusk. It's a 'good' kind of tired. Have fun at the games.
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dig! We are almost done with converting the potting shed that came with the house into a green house, just some finishing work. This weekend the raised beds are going in, just in time for Ryan's second surgery. (Note to self: must make honey-do list while he still has use of both arms...)

    And I am definitely up for gourds and pumpkins because while my initial seedlings looked promising, what has actually made it is rather pitiful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww. I'm so jealous. I can't wait to have a garden again. You're a very lucky green girl. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.