Monday, June 18, 2012

back from baltimore

I'm loaded down with work to do on my manuscript--plots to thread together, characters to scratch, sentences to recalibrate, nouns to modify, adjectives to fix.  Evidently I was quite fond of making my main character "tremble" each time the object of her adoration walked through the door.  TREMBLE!  Of all the sissified reactions to a man!  Funny to discover you've written in an action so consistently, too.  It's a tough thing to return home after a writing workshop with no time to write.  As usual, the Screw Iowa gals helped me immeasurably and I am refreshed from both their company and the infusion of estrogen.

Wine was drunk (but we weren't--haha!).  Museums were toured.  Laughter erupted.  We talked about politics, economics, literature, history and art.  Lauren and her husband were wonderful hosts.  And there was hugging.  Lots of hugging.

Re-entry is tough--Team Testosterone had a good week, but they've become soft and spoiled in my absence.  I've got to crack a whip over their heads, replenish the pantry and pull eleventy billion weeds that flourished in drought-like conditions while I was out of town.  You have to respect stuff like button weed, not only does it manage to firmly root itself in the most unwelcoming locations, it grows tall, mighty and GREEN without water or encouragement.  Everything else here is crispy brown at the edges, but the weeds somehow stay verdant and lush.  Perhaps I should re-think my garden plans--a flower bed of Queen Anne's Lace and Stinging Nettle would never need weeding.  Or watering or any other kind of attention.

But I digress--one of the Screw Iowa Gals, MK Graff, has a new Nora Tierney mystery recently published!  It's wonderful and I'll talk more about it tomorrow, but I'll leave you with this review and a giveaway.  Next Monday I'll pick one lucky winner from the comment box and mail them an autographed copy of The Green Remains.



Isn't that cover FABULOUS?
 
So spill it, reader.  A free book is at play.  What's growing unwanted in your garden?  (Non-gardeners can answer metaphorically, of course.)

24 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I've missed you.

    (Don't enter me in the giveaway -- I have FIVE copies of GR here in my house. :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can be a rather critical reader and I really did not notice that "tremble" was used too much in your book. Maybe that's because I'm a trembler myself when it comes to men. Or people. There's a reason I live on the Internet. :)

    The Graff books looks good from the cover anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a sticky weed that is the bane of my existance. No matter how hard I try, I can never keep on top of it. At my old house, it was sheep's sorrel.

    DOTR has bunches of tomatoes on his three plants, here's hoping while we're away, something doesn't come by and munch on them. This happens every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, sounds like you had a lot of fun.
    as for weeds, well, purslane, lambs quarter, red-root pigweed (wild amaranth), absinth wormwood, leafy spurge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My balcony garden is weed free, but I have a steady stream of little ants that are in love with my rosemary bush. Apparently they are growing a colony somewhere under its roots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my real garden, we have many unwanted mini-maple trees, some thistle and a variety of other weeds that we don't know the names of.

    In my emotional garden, there's Steve's recently resurfaced heart condition, the guilt of not going to the gym, and my desire for another child, which unfortunately doesn't match Steve's thoughts on growing the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! I've missed reading your daily musings.

    Lilies and bee balm are beginning to bloom here; we got a quarter inch of rain over the last 24 hours which was very welcome. Still, the grass is pretty brittle and the sprinkler and pool are getting a lot of use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Makes me laugh that your character trembled! What's growing in my garden..FLOWERS! finally planted some flowers this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have trees growing in my lawn from the helicopter seeds. Its been so hot the grass isn't growing much but the trees are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of unwanted "weeds" here in our house. It has been a rough week. But this too shall pass.
    So glad you have such a wonderful week! It sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Noisy neighbors? So cool you are actively writing! (fiction, that is.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My front garden/flower bed has few weeds -- since I weeded it this weekend.

    The backyard? The backyard scares me. I don't want to go back there. Weed beds abound where flower beds used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Weeds are our family's downfall. My husband does all the mowing and edging and I am in charge of flowers. We both refuse to weed. It is a big standoff between us. The first year at this house the weeds were crazy because we both were holding out so I finally called a landscaper and just paid them to do 2 hours of weeding with 6 guys they did it all. My husband was so mad that I hired them but I think it was the best money spent. He hates to spend money on things we can do ourselves so now he at least sprays roundup around occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no, not trembling! Don't go all shades of grey on us! My meager garden is looking pretty good right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have a wonderful rose garden shaded by 3 red oak that RAIN acorns and house an army of squirrels that bury at least 1/4 of them. If I didn't weed regularly I'd have an oak forest. (Surely there is some money to be made mailing oak seedlings?)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Green remains - looks wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I think tremble is a lovely and potent word, when used sparingly. You could say, "a tiny quake which started in her soul and echoed throughout her flesh"
    ~ woo hoo!!
    or just "quake"...or...heck, any comparison to an Aspen leaf...*haha!! It sounds like you had a great time with your homies...
    * = )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back!
    Unwanted in my garden? Eighty-five fathoms of trumpet vine, miles of Japanese honeysuckle, grapevines, pokeweed--it's a festival of weeds over here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All is well in the garden and life in general.

    Welcome back! I love Smalltown Mom's comment about 50 Shades of Grey. After reading the free sample, I cannot fathom how anyone has read the whole book. So. Poorly. Written.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Growing unwanted? Hovering Helicopters, Batman, it's the Mini-maples! The neighbor's silver maple tree spreads its seed upon the ground every spring, and the mini maple seedlings are almost as tall as my tomato plants right now. After the rain (yea! Rain!) I'll attack the silver maple farm again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. the only thing growing in my garden is DIRT! Not even a weed. I have no garden - only a big pot of dirt I brought home from my mom's house.

    I need the book. hehehe!

    glad you're home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time with the Screw Iowa gals ... not that I had any doubt.

    The trembling makes me giggle. I guess you're getting it out of your system because I just don't envision you as a trembling sort of gal in real life.

    As for my garden? I'll tell you want's not growing: lithodora. It is now dead to me! And to everybody else ... b/c I've managed to kill eight plants. EIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ants. Ants are eating our pumpkins and my green beans. We can't keep them away, although Lord knows Farmer is trying. Farmer figures we've lost at least 20 individual pumpkins. That's why some of the hills are bare out there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome back-sounds like a great trip, very productive and still fun!

    My garden is FULL of slugs. Nasty slimy disgusting slugs. I go out there a few nights a week and kill off tons of them, but they just appear again. They are the creepiest creatures on earth!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.