Wednesday, June 20, 2012

cozy

It's blazing hot here--and I'm one of those girls who sweats easily, so I'm walking around with a film of moisture coating my skin.  And my hair.  Mr. T and I are suffering from what we call "big hair" in this humid weather.  It's the season of lethargy when the temps hang out in the 90's--the only ambition we seem to have is to swim and eat ice cream.  And pant for air.

And read.  I'm skimming through something by Allison Winn Scotch right now, because I've already finished M.K. Graff's The Green Remains.  Next up:  The Art of Fielding.  But back to The Green Remains

Nora Tierney writes children's books.  She's an American living in England working on a series when events pull her into a murder mystery (The Blue Virgin).  Being insufferably nosy and insatiably curious, it doesn't take much prodding for her to investigate further when she literally stumbles across a dead body in The Green Remains.  Adding to the Nora's pickle is her love triangle--she's torn between the sensitive guy illustrating her books and the rugged detective inspector sent in to officially solve the case.  (This love triangle is more fondly referred to as "Team Simon vs. Team Declan" by M.K. Graff's fan base.)  (I'm leaning toward Team Simon in case you're keeping score.)  Throw in small town drama and gossip swirling around the inhabitants of Clarendon Hall where tragedy strikes on a regular basis and this book's a regular page-turner.  Want to know more about how an American author nails a British setting?  Click here.





You know you want a good read even if your summer hasn't heated to the boiling point so let me help you get your hands on a copy of The Green RemainsI'm giving away a free autographed copy to one lucky comment in the comment box.  All you have to do is leave a comment.  All I have to do is randomly pick a comment next Monday and mail you the copy I snagged from M.K. last week in Baltimore.

I promise not to leave perspiration marks on the book when I mail it.

Happy Summer Solstice, everyone!  Spill it, reader.  What do you plan to do on the longest day of the year?

16 comments:

  1. Okay, I am doing what you told me to sdo and leaving a comment because I am most curious about the book. You have awakend my curiosity enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby Boy's sensitive skin can't take this weather well, so we sit in our air conditioned home. However, when he naps the girls and i are going in our little pool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you must have the hot we had last week, now we are cooler but soggy. 4"+ since sunday. and it is raining again this morning. sheesh we had to water the garden just to get it to come up that's how dry we were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hot here by Prague standards, and everyone is melting and eating ice cream. (It is only 80!) Tomorrow though, we'll head to a local park and celebrate "Svatojánská noc" (St. John's night) with lanterns and theater events!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW!! I got my book!! It is hot as snot here in SC starting yesterday!! UGH! Go Gamecocks..Fear the Fish! Love Mr. D!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally a sweater. And thus far, fighting off everyone's requests to turn on the AC. Because I don't want to pay the bill. And that's how my husband's hands fall off the on button.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a sweater, too. I don't even get big hair out of the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy, I don't just sweat --I sweat buckets! And I don't get big hair, either. Nowadays I take all may hair, scrape it to the top of my head and anchor it with a scrunchy. The only other option for summer would be to shave it totally off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my A/C house cleaning it. I'm not much of a sweater. I'm bringing the 10 x 10 canopy to my son's game tonight for the team to sit under. Just brought it a couple weeks ago before a tournament and I think we're going to get lots of use out of it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am spending the day getting ahead on my classwork so I can be free to fully enjoy tomorrow - when I will finally go to my very first ever College World Series games! I am beyond excited!!

    I feel your damp pain - I also am an overachiever in the sweating department, although my affliction really only affects my head. Which is lovely. And not at all embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is today the longest day of the year? I've had longer days. I spent it making estimates of the US corn crop, which is what I do when there is a "hot and dry".

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm reading 'The Children's Book' by A S Byatt (BRILLIANT!) and 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' by Muriel Barbery (Saving it for when I'm done the other one).

    It's gone all drizzly and Dorset-ish here, I hope we get some more sun soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would you believe I worked 11 hours today? I did. But I suppose the not going in at all last week was worth it.

    I didn't LOVE The Art of Fielding, but I did like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been bloody busy the last two day but want to read a few blogs before I put my feet up for the night.......so you are nice and hot while I am freezing my tits off.........lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the heat of summer... especially with a pool at hand. Hope you have some time to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. After living in the south for 16 years (how did that happen?) I am beginning to learn to fake it in the heat. to pretend i am not really that hot. and to not go out side between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. -- unless we are going to the pool or to buy ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.