Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I'm kind of all dried up on the word front lately.  Did I use them all up yakking and yukking it up in Baltimore?  I hope not--I have a novel to finish and this space here to fill.  Plenty's happening here, and I'm not trying to be coy or secretive, but nothing seems worth writing about.  Let's see...what is new?  I've been seeing a chiropractor.  He's pretty cute.  (badum-bum)  It's not too serious.  (cracking myself up here)  The real story is this:  I've had awful nerve pain in my leg for ages.  My doctor (WebMD) and I self-diagnosed this based on my symptoms and decided chiropractic care trumped surgery.  While explaining myself to the chiropractor, I added that the ankle I rolled last August still hurt, and was connected to the same leg that constantly ached, so maybe there was a connection. 

Dr. V kindly nodded and didn't judge me about the Internet diagnosis (that I could tell--he's really that nice of a guy) and said he could help.  Interior sprains are evidently notorious for putting ankle bones out of whack, so while nothing's broken, things have been uncomfortably out of place for months.  (Despite all my physical therapy--turns out my muscle strength wasn't the issue.)  Dr. V fixed it with just a few well executed jerks and twists on my foot and ankle.  I can jump, spin, turn, shimmy and shake without any twinge or fear of collapsing.  Friday he told me after performing the 3rd adjustment that I could test-run it over the weekend.  For the first time since August I ran without a brace or tape and I felt fine.  No throbbing, no sharp pain, no shooting pain, no dull ache.   Which kind of makes me want to kiss Dr. V, but I won't because it's not that kind of relationship.  (yet.  I do have a thing for chiropractors--there's something so awesome about how that cracking makes a body feel better.)  Also?  My nerve pain has significantly disappeared thanks to the adjustments he's made on my back.  I'm so so so thankful to feel better again.  I was terrified that all the aches and pains were due to aging.  I'd mentally moved karate and running off the table and had looked into shuffleboard lessons.  Turns out I'm good to go for another 40,000 miles (or so).

I'm seeing him again tomorrow morning.  I'll shave my legs.  As a courtesy, of course. 

The view outside mostly looks like this:


Lots of testosterone, plus a shaggy mutt always under foot, doing the heavy lifting and riding around on the 4-wheeler.  Some days we have enough ballplayers hanging out around here to field a team. 

This one ballplayer in particular was pretty jacked to wear his TOURNAMENT TEAM uniform for his first tournament.


And speaking of wearing things, I call this picture "Gidget Goes to Washington."  That's from our little side trip to Washington D.C. when I was in Baltimore. 



That expression Mr. T's giving you about sums it up, doesn't it?  I can practically hear him saying "Really, Mom?"




Really.



15 comments:

  1. Getting everything aligned back in place is delicious. So glad you can get back to running and karate and feeling your self!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chiropractors are heaven-sent, definitely. I had tingling and numbness in a leg for a while, and those adjustments solved that fairly quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no experience with chiropracty (is that the right word?) but it sounds like it's working. Go, Dr. V! But let's focus on the important thing in this post: there you are, at the Halls of Government Power, wearing The Dress. I love that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear by Chiro, I thought I was headed for surgery on my knees and so did my MD went to the chiro, and yeah! no surgery, turned out my knees were out of whack on 3 different plains. have made fairly regular visits ever since. milking cows and birthing 7 kids just plays havoc on your lower back. I have had all my kids visiting too from tiny baby on, all the times they fall when learning to walk, or down the stairs, or the youngest was born with crooked feet. chiro helped all of that.

    you look very good in The Dress.
    good luck at the baseball tournys

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to a chiropractor. The thought of cracking things scares me but also they've never been covered on my insurance. I know people who swear by them though, and am glad to hear you're getting help - finally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it WONDERFUL to feel so much better? I can totally relate -- after my knee surgery and PT, I felt like a whole new person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should get my neck looked at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad the chiropractor is helping. love the photos. the look on Mr. T's face looks awfully familiar to me.... i can't get near my oldest with a camera. he's allergic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen you jump, run, turn, spin, and shake, maybe even shiver in the winter, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen you shimmy. :) You may have to break out your moves sometime soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woot woot on feeling better!!!!!! And without surgery or anything invasive is even better! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing really measures up to the absence of pain. Glad you were able to find a non-invasive option. Let the good times roll!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Gidget dress again! It's really cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you're feeling better physically, even if your writer's brain is resting at the moment. Chiropractic has helped me, too. It's almost like magic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would you believe me if I tell you that in about 10 to 15 years you'll have all those same boys over, but that will mean you'll need to buy beer in addition to food?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That doctor V sounds like a winner! Of course you should shave your legs - as a courtesy, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.