Friday, June 22, 2012

wonder if this was inspired by inaugural gowns at the smithsonian

I don't usually remember my dreams, nor do I put much stock in dreams when I do remember them.  Generally my dreams are a) unremarkable, b) completely surreal and senseless and/or c) have no deep meaning or metaphor explaining my life.  Plus dreams  don't translate well into spoken conversation--or written, for that matter. 

That being said, you have to hear about the crazy dream I had last night.

I've been elected the first woman President of the United States of America.  My family is hanging out in a room full of toys down the hall and I'm sitting in an ornate conference room with a gorgeous cherry table and padded executive chairs.  Heavy blue velvet curtains cover the floor to ceiling windows, carved crown molding adds to the historic feeling of the moment.

I'm sitting at this table surrounded by all of the former First Ladies, from Mamie Eisenhower (though Jackie Kennedy is conspicuously absent) through Michelle Obama and I'm assigning each of them posts as members of my Cabinet.  All of them look their age and they're dressed in suits. 

A lot of thought goes into each one--I obviously designate Hillary Secretary of State because she's already done it before and she did a hell of a job, plus she's so experienced.  I make Michelle Secretary of Health and Human Services, Laura gets Education, Barbara gets Defense, Rosalyn has Energy and Nancy gets Commerce.  Elizabeth Ford takes over Housing & Urban Development. Obviously it makes sense to assign Lady Bird the Interior AND for some reason I give her Transportation as well.  There was a lot of doubling up, for example, Michelle ended up with Agriculture and Hillary graciously took over Veterans Affairs on top of all the foreign relations stuff.  We got all along swell (Nancy Reagan was especially funny and sweet and Michelle was just as cool as you'd expect), and I had this strong sense of hope that if ruled by an army of awesome women, America would become one hell of a country. 

I woke up remembering every detail of the conversation between me and the former (and present) First Ladies, the chit-chat as we hammered out who would take which post.  And I wondered WTF would inspire such a strange and specific dream.  The only thing I can think of is that last week I visited the First Ladies Inaugural Gown exhibit at the Smithsonian while I was in Washington D.C.

(cue segue)

with the Screw Iowa Writers Group, which included M.K. Graff, author of The Green Remains, this really great mystery novel that has nothing to do with politics or Presidents or First Ladies.  But I did tour the gown exhibit with the talented and lovely M.K. Graff.  And I'm giving away an autographed copy of The Green Remains to one lucky winner Monday.  All YOU need to do to win is leave a comment in the comment box.  I'll randomly pick a comment from all of this week's comments and mail them the book.  



Spill it, reader.  Any strange dreams for you lately? 
Happy weekend!

16 comments:

  1. I think that's an awesome dream, and really, the world WOULD be a better place if it were run by a group of smart women :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a really cool dream! And a wonderful idea - all of those women contributed much to our country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Gawd....if that really happens, please please PLEASE make me your "girl Friday"...you know...that person that will carry your 30 blackberry's and your briefcase and water bottle and everything else.

    Also, if this dream actually comes true....make Mamie E. the Secretary of Veteran's Affairs....you know...since Ike was a 4 star general and led D-Day and all that. It fits. And we need to fit Condi Rice in there. I admire her too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't give Condi Rice a starring role. I don't think she did all that great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I wonder what Jackie was doing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bet that was an interesting exhibit. Our local university museum did an exhibit of wedding gowns from early 1800's to early 1900's. I find that kind really ignites my imagination and plot process.

    I can't remember my last dream at this hour of the day. Ask me at dawn and I'm there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be amazing!

    My latest weirdo dream was based on the theme of "Can you love a really ugly doll?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. my latest dream involved my dad (died in 2005), ron, my kids, and a house we lived in from '88-'96. it was a very odd dream and i woke up remembering a ton of details - but there were things about that house that NEVER existed in that house. it was kind of funny...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many stressed-filled dreams. I can't even begin to list them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you need to submit that dream to the Smithsonian. Wow. So much detail. And way cooler than any dream I can contribute to this discussion.

    By the way, makes complete sense why Lady Bird Johnson would be designated Sec of Transportation. She is singularly responsible for the beautification of Texas highways thanks to her wildflower efforts:

    "Because of her, we have more wildflowers along highways and fewer billboards and junkyards as a result of "Lady Bird's Bill," or The Highway Beautification Act of 1965. This law cut back on roadside advertising and required that junkyards along highways be removed or screened."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - what an educational dream! Mine are more, well, not so educated. I DID recently dream that the diamonds were all falling out of my wedding band, and that I had my wedding ring from my first marriage on my right hand and the diamond was extremely large. That one didn't fall out. Now, geez, what it THAT dream saying?

    I received your book in the mail. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sure know how to dream...I'm usually so tired by the time my head hits the pillow, that I rarely dream. Bill does tell me tho, that I snore and laugh in my sleep...what does that tell ya? So, do you dream in color?
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope I am not to late to quality for the drawing.... also really want to see that dress exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I'm too late for the contest, but dreams? I've had so many odd ones in the past year, including nightmares, that I rarely want to analyze them. I like your idea of putting the first Ladies to work. Where would Abigail Adams go? She's one of my favorite people in U.S. history. WPR is reading a book about Abigail and John Adams on Chapter a Day, and I can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.