Sunday, August 26, 2012

holding pattern

Things are brewing here--and I'm not talking about coffee.  We've got one week left of summer break and then everything changes.

It's weird to sit in this holding pattern, but there you have it.  No sense in starting new projects or routines when things are about to change.   We killed some time at a water park in the Dells. The boys are mad for this giant wave pool and we're all tall enough to go on the roller coasters and go-carts now.  Plus, people watching at a Wisconsin water park is pretty entertaining.  The thing that struck me most last week was how less than 20% of the population had any discernible muscle tone.  I'm not talking about people's weight, I'm talking about the pure flabbiness of so many arms and legs, on bodies large and small.  It got me thinking that people's diet habits are less of an issue than their lack of exercise.  You'll find great amounts of evidence of our sedentary society at a water park.

Mr. D and I went to a lovely wedding reception and visited with old friends.  We even cut a rug on the dance floor because we're too damn old to care what the young kids think and we're too young to remain seated at the tables sipping decaf.  The decorations were inspired and earthy, including these wonderful coasters made out of cut tree branches.  That had to be the best party favor I've ever scored at a wedding.  And we also heard the best maid of honor speech ever, the bride's twin sister delivered a hilarious and brilliant toast with magnificent comic timing and an accent so broad you could have mistaken her for a Yooper.  No kidding.

I've cleaned out a closet or two, organized years 1994-1999 in the photo albums and picked a pile of tomatoes and a peck of peppers (unpickled).   I've read 3 books and started a 4th.  I'm refereeing fights between bored brothers and flat out of patience with their lack of imagination.  It's an antsy feeling, knowing the bigger things I'd like to be doing but waiting until school starts.  Spill it, reader.  Anyone else get the jitters during the final weeks of summer vacation?


15 comments:

  1. I love my guys but I'm looking forward to having my alone time back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first year...in oh so many, where I don't have any kids going back to school...so I'm thinking...maybe I'll take a class :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of flabby bodies, including mine which spends far too much time sitting and not moving around. Yep... Americans are fat, flabby and out of shape and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those last couple of weeks were always rough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, I get the jitters big-time, about 2 weeks out from the start of school. Thankfully, school started last Thursday. But my son already asked for a ride to school tomorrow. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get the jitters because I have to go back to work. Had a work meeting last week. There is always changes and new things with the start of the new year. Plus changes in the people I work with which is really stressful to train people the first day. I'm going in one day this week to get things ready and hopefully the first day goes off without a hitch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we were Down Under, I actually struggled a bit the few several days because I'm so used to being around Americans of all shapes and sizes that I found it strange to be around people who were nearly all smaller than I am. I forget just how overweight in general our country is until I'm out of it and out in the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm right there with you. Today is Youngest's first real day of college (commuting) and I'm off for a week.
    Antsy.
    I may have to paint the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have such a hard time letting go of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear you. Emma always gets a bit anxious about the start of school. Then there's the fact that Rob and I have to start teaching a few days before she starts, which causes scheduling problems and doesn't make prep easy. All of that makes me jittery! Luckily, our schools started last week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't get the jitters, I get melancholy. Fall always makes me wistful. And now all FOUR of my kids are starting school (okay Ben is just half a day and Grace is only three mornings a week, but still) and I just can't fathom where time has gone. *sniff, sniff*
    I'm not ready for the homework, the schedules, the meetings, the sports, the clubs, etc. I wish summer lasted forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am less worried and more motivated now that I've started teacher staff development and Amigo has some practice staying home on his own. This last week of hot weather - it's for the dogs, isn't it? I hope Jax enjoys having the boys home, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the first time in 6 years that I am OVER the Florida summer. Afternoon rain, thick air,warm pool water, hurricane season.
    We are patiently waiting for Rocktober...cool air, no rain, uncrowded Theme Parks, open windows.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! Love a guy who can dance at a celebration. :) Hope the start of school is good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You give me heart. I HATE the week(s) when summer's winding down. That's one reason why we did a big road trip for much of August: so I wouldn't have to throttle my children.

    The wedding sounds grand, though...and I like picturing you in the Dells. We've never done a trip there, but we pulled over to have lunch in a diner, and then we drove through and looked at all the hotels. Wow. It's like a mini-Vegas.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.