Saturday, August 25, 2012

the most smiles

I have a theory that certain jobs elicit the most smiles out of people.  I have it on good authority that no one working behind a candy counter (especially in a chocolate shop) serves crabby customers.  Customers grin when someone delivers flowers to their doorstep.  Early elementary art teachers are beloved by their students.

Today I'm going to add one more job to my list:  waterslide worker.

From my shady spot on a lawn chair at the base of a huge waterslide (the kind that requires a ginormous 2-4-person raft to descend) yesterday, I watched group splash after group splash.  And group grin after group grin.  There must have been something incredibly exhilarating hitting that last bank of water because most people were even laughing.

I thought about how that must have made the lifeguard at the bottom of the pool feel while she assisted people out of the ginormous raft and loaded it onto the conveyor belt sending the raft back to the top of the slide.  Happy face after happy face.  I was smiling in reaction to the joy at the base of that slide.  Couples, parents, kids, friends, grandparents--they all smiled and laughed.

Spill it, reader.  Where have you seen the biggest, most consistent smiles?

11 comments:

  1. We have a small home-made ice-cream place in our little town. The servers see a lot of smiles there, and the customers do too --the woman who owns the place always hires the nicest high school kids, and they seem to really enjoy the job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your post on my blog roll and was thinking of an answer. I was happy when I finally thought of one; but when I got to your blog page, I see that Cassi beat me to it! I, too, thought of an ice cream place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cupcake bakery in my town.

    The administration of my girls' middle school, if you can believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got back from the farmers' market; pretty cheery folks down there! Especially the sweet Egg Lady. She must have really happy chickens (we feel better eating eggs from happy chickens, despite the cost). If I were a hen, I'd like her to be my boss. My daughter sometimes works as a fairy at children's parties; little kids really like them some fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The folks at my local pet supplies store are always smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There were lots of smiling faces among the freshmen moving into the dorms last Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In high school I had a honor of being the 'flower delivery girl' at the local hospital I volunteered at. Even when folks were very ill, they lit up at the sight of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a lovely bakery shop close to our house and occasionally for a special treat we take the kids there. Smiles all around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The local Frozen Yogurt place has very smiley people working there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cashier at our corner market is always smiling. I'm not sure how, because some of her customers are true crabs. But she is.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.