Friday, September 21, 2012

under there, back there, around here

Only a couple small-ish mold colonies were destroyed in yesterday's biannual Cleansing of the Fridge.  What always stymies me, however, is how on earth BENEATH the fridge gets so gross.  I mean, it's a giant, heavy appliance that never moves.  We have radiant heat, no indoor pets and a central vac system.  Our house is about as dust-free as outer space.  Yet when I roll the fridge back from its spot (surrounded on 3 sides by walls and cupboards), there are spills, stains and huge piles of dust and hair and dirt and crumbs.  Also Lego pieces, broken glass, coffee beans and a screw.  I know for a fact the floor beneath that fridge was spotless less then 6 months ago when I had the kitchen painted.  It's so dang weird how it gets so filthy under there.

We're down to ONE shovel at Chez Green Girl.  It's currently residing in a trailer on the Back Forty.  I'm at a stalemate in my yard work until I hike back there to get it.  We used to have at least THREE shovels once upon a time.  TB broke one this summer, I suspect Team Testosterone lost/destroyed the other one. 

Mr. T had his third cross country meet last night.  He ran a better time yet again (1.75 miles in 13:02 minutes), this time in a downpour.  Made us all very proud.

Mr. G took two baths last night.  He explained to us that "I'll get double-clean, that way I don't have to take another bath for at least a week."  I can think of about 20 situations where I'd like to apply his logic.

The Team was wicked late for the bus this morning, and at least 5 cars waited behind the school bus while they ran down the driveway.  I felt bad for those drivers.  I kind of wish they'd have started honking, just to drive it home and embarrass those dang kids.  I shouted at them for at least 15 minutes to MOVE IT!  YOU'RE GOING TO BE LATE!   If I were stuck behind a school bus watching 3 kids fly down the driveway towards it, would I honk?  Probably not. 

Happy weekend, reader.  May it be free of gross smells and unwelcome guests.  I'm off to the woods.



15 comments:

  1. Oh Green Girl, the same scary things live under our refrigerator too, and I think under ALL refrigerators. It may be where the aliens live! Now treat yourself and buy a garden shovel. Paint the handle pink and green so it will be your very own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frig was moved at my house this week too. Dh swept, then mopped TWICE to get rid of the filth. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagine if you added a pair of toddlers, a pair of cats, and removed the central vac? I fear moving the fridge, and only do so with Steve on the premises. Terrifying.

    Love the new header!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you wanted the cars to honk at them...no coddling at this house either ;) what is up with the fridge?!? Our's is like the entrance to hell! Freaked me out a bit yesterday...never once thought about moving the washer and dryer out to clean under them! Why? It's only the laundry baskets next to them..so I peeked...nasty...I think that I'll put That one on the Hub's to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new header pic. :)
    Kids in the morning. I tell ya. It is enough to make me start drinking. Ugh.
    Way to go, Mr. T! That is super fast!
    I like Mr. G's logic too. Wish it worked that way (especially with doing laundry and dishes and stuff). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you read this comment, I hope you have shovel in hand (and not just to clean beneath the fridge). This was a terrific rundown of random moments--kudos to your runner and your three runners and your well-bathed kid, etc. LOVED this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You never know. Maybe the cars were filled with kids who missed the bus because THEY were late! Ha ha!

    May you have a mold-free weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I shudder to think what is under my fridge.

    And I truly wish I could run like Mr. T.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure the personage in the swing in your new header photo is hiding under my fridge. I ain't looking under there, not no-how. It's enough of a battle to get Youngest Daughter to bathe once, much less battling the demons under the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The space under my fridge gets pretty gross too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We bought a new fridge a month or so ago, so of course I cleaned the floor when the old one was moved out. And really? Except for marbles (we have a frig-its marble track that is on the fridge door), it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I mean, I hadn't cleaned under that old fridge since we moved it there, in um, 2005? This is probably because all the dust and dirt stays in other parts of the house, that are cleaned just as infrequently :-) I like my guests to see just how dirty a house can get.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just completed two weeks of work in one at the job. I'm getting ready to put the laundry machine in motion. I am heading to your neck of the woods for my bi-annual trek north. Coming to see the 'rents and a couple of sisters in Chicago on the way home. It makes the extra work double enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am with you how on earth does it get so dirty and gross under the fridge and beside the fridge and behind the fridge but it does in every home......lol

    I remember the days when I would hell we will be late then I would change to we are late but you know it never seemed to make them go faster

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have inherited a carpeted kitchen. You don't notice the dust so much is about the only advantage to that. Yuck!

    Awesome header, by the way! Happy weekend to you, too. I've lost my pruning sheers. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Color me impressed with your bouts of cleaning. Regarding your boy's bath logic, mine tries to apply that to brushing his teeth. Ewwww.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.