Wednesday, September 5, 2012

we're there

Years ago I started taking this picture of Mr. D walking the kids to school. It's kind of a cool way to measure their growth since Mr. D stopped getting taller years ago...


Yesterday was the first day of school here in the Dairy State.  Last night after shuttling Mr. T home from cross-country and feeding the gang I had a meeting at church.  It was a rush of paperwork, excited conversations and carb-loading. Before I could issue job assignments, Mr. G and Mr. B bolted outside to play with their buddy who'd rolled in to his grandparents' driveway next door.  Mr. D called from across the state to check in and Mr. T chatted to him on my cell phone.  I left the house and children in a state of chaos, I also left my phone.


On the drive home it was already dark.  Lightning flashed to the north and the weather guy interrupted Matchbox Twenty on the radio with storm updates.  The Momvan's fuel gauge was on "E." I worried about whether Mr. T fed Jax and pulled the clothes in off the line. Was Mr. G fretting about the thunder (he really hates storms)?  Was Mr. B shutting the windows?  Or were they so tuned in to Cartoon Network that they were oblivious to the details?

I walked in to find the remnants of dinner still strewn across the table and a basket of dry clothes sitting on the floor.  Mr. T told me I'd "left the phone behind" and the neighbor guy had called.  His grandson, Mr. G and Mr. B were playing in a field he'd treated with weed killer that day.  Lightning flashed.  The wind gusted through window screens.  I turned off the TV, shut a few windows and listened to Mr. T explain that he made his brothers strip out of their clothes and jump in the pool to clean off any poisonous residue.  "Mr. B's eyes were itchy, so I gave him a wet washcloth.  Then we watched TV and waited for you." 


You done good, kid.  By any measure you've really grown up.

21 comments:

  1. Is it weird that this post made me all teary-eyed? Your sons are amazing! This is a story full of evidence that you and Mr. D have done great things in parenting your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello:
    Well, could one ask for a better substitute in one's absence? Clearly, good parenting is already producing results. There seems to be wisdom here quite beyond the years of your son. Now, if only he can work the washing machine, that will be perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart boy. He did well by his brothers.

    Those photos make me a little teary. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adore that last photo... now go fill up your gas tank and stop driving around on 'E'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so great when a child figures out the sensible, smart things to do in a problem situation. Good for Mr T! It all comes from good parenting, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are such great photos. And such great boys :-)

    I find that Emma steps up really well when she's taking care of her younger friend, K. She'll manage to do all sorts of things that she'll usually want me to do, and do them quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that series of photos. Good job, Mr. T!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taking care of the little brothers. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for Mr. T
    the kids will step up when you aren't around. you have taught him well, the Mr G and Mr B will pick it up too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The years fly by in the flash of an eyelash and a brothers' bond is unbreakable

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good brother! I love this new found freedom with our oldest now able to hold down the fort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww! That is so bittersweet. Both wonderful and a little sad that he is growing up. Those pictures are gorgeous. Love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn I am exhausted reading this post.........lol I loved the photos of them how they have grown.....were does the time go.......lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kudos for taking the opportunity to enjoy your own time. I have so much more of it lately but I'm appreciating it more this fall. The summer was full of mothering L, and that's ALOT of work! There is satisfaction in cleaning the kitchen and knowing it won't be dirty until I make is so. I miss the boy but the up side of empty nest is becoming clear :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's really a lovely story. Got to love those oldest kids!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That choked me up a little. Mr T is such a good big brother.

    Speaking of cross country...My daughter's supervising teacher got a Play 60 Grant. They started a cross country beginner's program for their elementary school. They had about 200 kids sign up, so Alli is helping with the program. She says the most enthusiasm is coming from the Kindergarten kids. The goal is to get the kids up to 1/2 mile by the end of the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That kind of made me tear up!

    And I can't believe I'm going to say this, but it all happens so fast..

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am with Pearl. Beautiful pictures, especially when put together like that.

    Hanneke

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome kids! I'm really impressed that they remembered the laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm breathless and appreciative after reading this...and completely nodding at how wonderful those almost-sad moments of "they're growing up" are.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.