Thursday, September 13, 2012

wetland restoration update

It's been pretty quiet back there for the last couple weeks.  All that's left of the big equipment are these tracks:


The ugly black plastic fencing still marks the edge of our property.


And the field looks clean-shaven, doesn't it?


Except these mounds, perhaps 4 feet high, still surround the field.


They're covered with weeds (mostly button weed, which grows FAST and TALL and has the softest leaves) and this mesh fabric.  Beneath the mesh is a layer of straw, so I assume they've planted something.  Native grasses and flowers?   Potatoes?  Who knows.


All I can tell you is that there's a LOT of mesh--this mound goes all the way down along that tree line.

 The rest of the field seems to be unplanted, just graded flat.


Along one edge is the public snowmobile trail, already optimistically marked for winter.  The trail used to cut straight across the length of this field.  I wondered how they'd handle it.  Now it appears to go along the edge.

You know that great big industrial-sized bridge they built across the creek?  Gone now.  Just a bunch of big rocks left behind.  As you can see, the creek is still dry, which tells you how dry our weather has been this season.  (This also adds to my confusion about the mold count being high.  Can you have mold if it's dry?)

 Another shot of where the bridge and the huge board of certificates, notices and permits once stood.


I found this all rather disappointing. I expected to see something more exciting after a summer's worth of heavy equipment moving around back there.  This field is eerily lifeless.  I didn't even see a mosquito or a bird fly past.

There you have it.  Wetland mitigation project phase II.  I'll keep you updated if/when anything more happens.  I'm most curious about what they planted on those mounds.

8 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see how it evolves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'll say it - for a wetland, it doesn't look very wet.

    Sorry.

    It looks kinda strange seeing that 25 mph sign when there isn't any road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'know, it took me so long to figure out what those little orange signs were in the farm fields around here! I'd drive by them, and wonder why the farmers needed directions on which way to go in their own fields. I grew up in southern Michigan, and although they can have very snowy winters, it's always slushy snow, and there just isn't much snowmowbile'n.

    Maybe next summer there'll be some water in that wetland :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "snowmo-W-bile'n" ha ha! I need an editor for blog comments :-)

      Delete
  4. I totally want to go run on the graded part. Maybe barefoot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really hope it isn't button weed like we have here, that is bad nasty stuff. thousands of seed from each button. very hard to get rid of. will take over crop land.
    we spent years walking the soybean fields pulling them by hand, the best way to kill it off. had to pick the seed heads and burn them before pulling the weeds.
    lets hope we have some fall rains, more snow this winter and some spring rains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know but it looks like the close encounter ship may be landing any day now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's just odd. With all that activity, I would have expected Snow White and a flock of singing birds or something like that.

    I've never been snowmobiling but would love to.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.