Friday, October 5, 2012

blustery

And I'm not talking about the debates.  Or the poor telemarketers/telefundraisers I toy with relentlessly (uhhhh....John Doe....uhhhh....no, I can't give you my number so you can call me back...uhhhh....)  I'm talking about the weather today.  Sunny.  Brilliant with color.  Blowing like mad.  I should go outside and photograph the leaves, but enough bloggers have posted pretty pictures of this fall.

It's a mixed bag here lately.  Mr. D's been sick and pretty ornery on account of it.  The little guys are nearing the end of black belt candidate training, so they're tired.  They've got a grand total of 6 more miles to run.  Mr. T ran a mediocre race yesterday (which we arrived at in the nick of time to cheer when he rounded the bend) and is annoyed we're making him go on the Fall Camporee this weekend.  I'm taking the position that he signed up, and when you make a commitment, you need to stick with it.  And I've been running around with errands and chores, arranging the schedule for parties (including a SURPRISE), house guests and serving meals in shifts because lately nobody's here at the same time to eat.  October is birthday month, we're going on a vacation in a couple weeks, and I've got those pages to revise.  And the dang fall chore list.  I don't mind most of it, but windows?  I absolutely loathe washing windows. 

But the weather this past week has been balmy.  I'm still getting out to run a couple times a week.  I started reading Gone Girl and I don't want to put it down.  I managed to spend a day with grandma, finish the hallway project, assemble the beginnings of Halloween costumes, volunteer a bit and I've got dinner with girlfriends on the docket for tonight.

With so much going on I have a hard time focusing and getting stuff done one step at a time.  Like Tuesday when I began painting the hallways, then I started cleaning carpets with a rented Rug Doctor, then I switched back to the paintbrush, my house was trashed, I had to run to the store, detour to the laptop, trip over a potted plant I'd moved in order to paint the hallway...you get the picture. 

Instead of huffing and puffing around here, I need to inhale deeply, exhale and focus on one thing at a time until I complete it.  Then inhale again and zoom in on the next thing.

Spill it, reader.  What do you do to focus?  Make a list?  Hire a maidservant?  Drink gin?  Nap?


19 comments:

  1. Meditate, breathe, and drink vodka.
    Seriously, I can't do the multi-tasking thing. When I was working I used to but it made me crazy and I hated what I was doing because of the frustrated feeling I always had inside. So now I just do one thing at a time, especially when I have three people talking to me at once. And, I tell them so. They probably think I'm some incompetent old lady but that's life.

    Feel better to Mr. D., and enjoy this great weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hide ;) Lists overwhelm me, but then it's also so great when you cross off junk! Forget the gin, it's fall go for a nice hard cider! Just found Angry Orchard and love it...perfect amount of buzz and ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been having a lot of trouble focusing lately. Maybe I should try the maidservant thing. I do make lists, but it's a danger to do so if the list is too long. Then after making the list, I have another cup of tea (WITH caffeine). By then it's usually time to go to a meeting, or pick up a child and take it somewhere. Not much gets done, but I've made it through the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every night I write out my next day's to-do list in a notebook. I add a star next to the thing I'd least like to do and try to get that done first thing in the morning. Getting the hardest task out of the way really helps me focus, as I tend to multi-task too much before it and procrastinate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do housework like a pinball machine, bouncing from one thing to another. It's not the most efficient way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do lists, although I always think it sounds like such a great idea. I especially like the idea of making a list at night or first thing in the morning, but I'm never that organized. I kind of just do stuff as it comes up. Which sometimes leads to chaos and ordering dinner in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lists. There's something about crossing items off that is so satisfying. I keep a running "To Do List of Doom" on my igoogle homepage. I will probably shrivel up and die when igoogle goes away in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a list maker but really only when I have a bunch of tasks to accomplish. When it's time to get down to work, I do one job at a time, and I do it fast. I love how a shiny, clean house looks and feels but the act of getting it there brings me no satisfaction whatsoever so I do it as quickly as possible.

    I also take breaks...which gave me time to leave this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I hear all you do I fell like I was a slacker SAHM. And I wasn't!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to say make lists but in truth it is nap.............lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make lists and organize my work space. If I don't, I'm all over the place. And I hear you on the windows, mine are on the list, too. Twice a year with the hanging and removing of the screen, comes the lovely task of washing.

    But not this weekend! I am participating in my first ever craft show. Wish me luck...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make a list, and clean stuff. But today, I may nap! You've been busy, haven't you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gin might work. But i"m a list person. And I've been known to add things to the list just to mark them off. Oh, and I start with one "thing". Like bathrooms. do them all at once. Or I start with the kitchen counters. Either a task you can see (counters) or smell (bathroom cleaners) seems to get me on track.

    And then there's today, where I had grand plans but driving 1.5 hours each way to a meeting wore me out more than I thought. So I watched Call the Midwife, Dr. Who and the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Breathe. Make myself resist any and all distractions. Finish.This.First. It only works about 20% of the time. I'm a hopeless distractinator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVED Gone Girl. I secretly love cheating on my chores with an engrossing book. Am doing that right now with The Garden of Last Days by Andre Dubus. Different than Gone Girl but just as compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hire a maidservant? Oh, we can only dream. I prioritize and focus on one at a time, within reason. For example: start laundry, then get busy in the kitchen. Put pie in the oven; then clean the kitchen while it cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't live without lists. Oh, and yeah, I do have a lady come in every other week to do the most physical stuff (floors and windows).

    I wish I had a wand. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I go for a run to find focus. If that doesn't work, I organize my desk or clean out a closet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Focus? What's that? You mean other people don't do 10 things at once?

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.