Tuesday, November 20, 2012

letting it flow

This gratitude bubble is so fragile.  In a few days it will be so easy to burst it with greed and desire.  My attitude of discontent is one Pottery Barn catalog image away, you know.  I want my kids to wear matching sweaters while drinking hot chocolate (without roughhousing and spilling) out of oversized mugs with an elf-themed bunting draped across our mantel--and a leather couch!  And a color-coordinated cashmere throw!  And a floor lamp!  I'm keeping the beast at bay by recycling the catalogs and sales inserts, interrupting the TV commercials with directions to "go feed the dog" and, of course, leaving that gratitude wreath with the pintato in the middle of the kitchen counter. 

Be thankful first. 

41.  movies
42.  sunny days
43.  answered prayer
44.  carpools and the many favors I can give to and get from other parents
45.  dictionaries
46.  and a good thesaurus
47.  the magic of "first" moments--first snowfall, first thaw, first tiny shoots in the garden, first robin of spring time, first glimpse of a new moon
48.  inside jokes
49.  nicknames
50.  my sense of smell
51.  forgiveness
52.  grace
53.  the fabulous leaders helping me in the Yellow Cubbie Room on Tuesday nights, the great kids and their faithful parents
54.  mentors
55.  music (except hip hop, rap and death metal)
56.  running (holy crap, I cannot believe I included that one)
57.  volunteers
58.  theater  (especially APT)
59.  yoga
60.  heirlooms

11 comments:

  1. I do love a good dictionary and thesaurus too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, of course running belongs on there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely list. While I'm with you on the dictionary, our thesaurus stays on a nice, high shelf where kids can't get to it and embarrass us when writing school essays. :)
    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carpool is big on my list, these days, of things I am thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if we don't get to see each other too often, thanks for being a friend. Let's make time to grab a cup of coffee sometime in December if you can fit it into your schedule! Happy Thanksgiving, have a blessed and joyful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I never thought running would be on my thankful list either, but today's run was gorgeous and much needed. :)
    Lovely list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inside jokes! YES! We have a few in our house.

    I wouldn't have running on my list but I am back to 2 miles a day walking and I'm thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on the help from other parents. We couldn't do it at all without help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about rain followed by sunshine and families we can count on.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the Pottery Barn and Lands End family models! And that's what they are, models. Our reality doesn't look like the models, and it shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.