Thursday, December 20, 2012

5th Annual Holiday Homes Tour

Happy Solstice everyone!  It's always encouraging to get to the shortest day and know that within a month we'll have a bit more daylight.  Years ago when I taught high school a former colleague had started a great tradition of wearing shorts to celebrate the shortest day.  You bet I'm wearing shorts today--over my long underwear--and thinking of Ron as I do so.  You don't have to shave your legs when it's dark out and you're wearing long underwear.  Meanwhile, we'll keep things merry, hairy and bright in the darkness.  Welcome to the 5th annual Holiday Homes Tour sponsored by Jen on the Edge.  (Click that link when you leave and visit some of the rest of the blogosphere opening their homes to you today.)  Two celebrations for free today at Chez Green Girl! 


I'll let you in through the laundry room door, that's where friends and family enter.  Strangers?  They come to the front door.  My mom made that gorgeous tablecloth that matches my pretty blue kitchen walls.


Tying the knots to hang all those balls and snowflakes gave me hand cramps, but I do like the effect.  I hung them everywhere.


The front entry always makes me smile every time I pass by to the library.


I strung those balls up the stairs, too.


I've got all sorts of the old-fashioned looking stuff in the library this year.








Decorating a piano is akin to decorating a fireplace mantel, isn't it?  In fact, my piano is more lavish.


Snowmen take over the built-ins in the living room, though, and they'll camp out there until winter's over.


The mantel is simple--nativity with some more of those balls and flakes overhead.

 

We take Christmas trees seriously around here.  We like them BIG and FULL and LIVE.

 

Then we decorate them with a hodgepodge of ornaments from Christmases past.  Every year I see a "themed" tree and think for a moment I'd like to do one, but then I unwrap those old ornaments the kids have made me over the years and I know I'll probably never have the heart to do it.  Unless I got another tree.




 
 
Moving on you'll find the advent calendar my mother made me.  It's very similar to the one we had when I was growing up.  This year Mr. G and Mr. B have put each ornament on and you can see they are a bit OCD about how to do it--left to right, bottom to top, star goes on last.  Mr. T suddenly mentioned tonight that he'd like to put on tomorrow's ornament, which pleases me.  He's finally got a bit of Christmas spirit in his veins.



My BFF made me the "W" and I luff it.


Another angle of the tree--it kind of dominates the room this year.


That about wraps it up.


Thanks for dropping by.  Now, click on Annual Holiday Homes Tour and check out some other fabulous decorating!

23 comments:

  1. What a full and handsome tree you have, and I like the photo at the top of your blog. How cool you have a home with a library, and the piano looks great decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it all. Your house looks so warm and welcoming.
    When I had my piano, I used to line up the village houses on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to go on a tour - thank you. We don't decorate or have a tree, so it's really nice to see other people's decorations. They look so festive!

    The advent calendar is almost the same as our piano teacher's advent calendar. We were admiring hers and talking about it tonight at the lesson. Her mother's sewing group made 50 of these calendars. As a girl, she had to participate by making 50 of those little gingerbread men out of felt. Afterwards they swore never to do such a task again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Themed trees don't have any memories attached to them. Every ornament on my tree reminds me of a specific moment in my past and that's the way I like it.

    I absolutely love the simple Nativity displayed in such a clean way. I imagine it's like a visual quiet spot that would remind me to focus on Christ's birth amidst the whirl of holiday hustle and bustle.

    You have a lovely home, Greenie, warm and welcoming. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous tree! I don't have a mantle to decorate. Perhaps I should get a piano, I agree lavish is good this time of year. Your advent calender looks a lot like the one I made Lola. I used buttons as a way to attach the ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you hung ornaments all over Chez Green Girl.

    I'm kind of surprised not to find, say, a Lego creation mixed in with the Nativity scene. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see your ornaments are my version of lights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your place looks so pretty. And I love that you're wearing shorts ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home looks beautiful! And I love the effect of the red ornaments and snowflakes hanging down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how pretty and festive!! You home is full of Christmas charm!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a pretty home you have! The decorations are just gorgeous :-) Love the firefly (not a decoration, but...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a beautiful home. We have the same light fixture too. I really loved your nativity set. Where did you get that? I collect them and have them all displayed in my windowsills. I've lost count how many I have now. Off to check the links you posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Home tours! What a great idea. I'll have to jump in the 6th annual one, when we are actually decorating. Love the ornaments hanging from the lights. And the shorts on the shortest day. I would, but we have one wicked wind freezing us out today. I wouldn't be able to last, even with long johns. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's cute that the boys are so particular about the ornament placement on the advent calendar. Thinking of you in your shorts...I would need long johns too as we are having a cold snap out here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry about your hand cramps, but the results are so very beautiful! I really love the chandelier effect from hanging things from the light fixtures (and everywhere else, too). Your home looks perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sparkly and bright. I luff your wall hanging too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty! And I love all the wall colors in your house. I think we have similar taste.
    And THAT is a tree! How gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tree is gorgeous! Other than the girth, it looks much like ours :) I once took the trouble to string cranberries and popcorn, and boy did my fingers ache afterwards! You have a beautiful home. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the snowflakes and baubles from the lights, I need to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have a very beautiful home! That tree is humongous! What a great shape, too! I love all your wooden book shelves! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My house is embarrassingly messy and even dusty and dirty in places. My limited mobility makes me set priorities, and cleaning falls to the end of the list. If I post a Holiday Open House, it will strategically show only the festive and clean!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your house looks beautiful! I especially luff the white paper wreathe in the front hall. Did you make that?

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.