Friday, December 7, 2012

new holiday favorite

For years and years I used to wrap Christmas gifts while watching Little Women.  (I needed a break from the Christmas letter--my head was aching from thinking so hard.)  It was tradition to open up with Jo and the gang spreading Christmas cheer to the poor family up the road while I set up the gifts and paper, sobbing into the tissue paper when Beth dies and they make up her bed for a final time, clenching the scissors when Jo tells Laurie it's over, really over.  Watching each Christmas with the March family was like going through old photo albums.  Familiar and beloved as we moved through the years together.

But this year I felt the urge to change it up.  Jen on the Edge swears by Die Hard as a pretty righteous Christmas flick, but I'm kind of gunned-out after that last episode of Sons of Anarchy.  I'm saving White Christmas to watch with the boys this year, and of course Miracle on 34th Street, A Christmas Story and It's A Wonderful Life are full-family viewing events.  I'm out of wine, so Love, Actually has to wait until next week.

I scanned the rack of DVDs and realized I'd been depriving myself of one of the best Christmas movies of all:



It's brilliant!  The whole thing begins at the office Christmas party!


There are hideous holiday sweaters (on the world's most gorgeous man with those smoldering brown eyes).


Bridget and I were like twins in our Christmas jammies!  And I sing loud and off-key, too!


Snowman tie!  Awkward Christmas party moment!  I'm there!


The perfect gift--ladies, do you feel as weak in the knees as I do when he walks out of that shop and gives the new diary to her?


And a perfect ending...
Could there be a more romantic Christmas-y moment than a first kiss during a snowfall on a quaint English intersection?  I defy you to find a better one.  It cannot be done.

Plus there's this scene (which reminds me I NEED to download that song).  All of it, especially the way they politely pause to sing "Happy Birthday" always cracks me up.  So proper.  So British.  So fabulous. 

Every woman wants to hear a man tell her, "I don't think you're an idiot at all. I mean, there are elements of the ridiculous about you. Your mother's pretty interesting. And you really are an appallingly bad public speaker. And, um, you tend to let whatever's in your head come out of your mouth without much consideration of the consequences... But the thing is, um, what I'm trying to say, very inarticulately, is that, um, in fact, perhaps despite appearances, I like you, very much. Just as you are."

Spill it, reader.  What's your unconventional holiday favorite?

P.S.  In case you didn't hear, Mrs. G over at Derwad Manor has some REALLY BIG NEWS!  I can hardly wait to hostess a screening party the night it airs!

28 comments:

  1. This is Bridget Jones right? You know I can be a bit slow on the uptake. Regardless, I too love this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While You Were Sleeping. Love it. Can't believe it is such an old movie, but we saw it when we were away on a church retreat when J4 was a baby! It came out in May, which makes no sense whatsoever.

    I do love Bridget Jones, but it's one of those movies that makes me really uncomfortable to watch because I am always so embarrassed for her. Like Richie on Happy Days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrooged - also excellent holiday viewing. Which version of Little Women did you watch - the one with Susan Sarandon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I missed Mrs. G's news until this morning. How amazing, for her and her readers! She is an incredible woman, who completely deserves this. I thank you, because you are how I discovered her blog!

    I haven't seen Bridget Jones since college. I think I need to rewatch. I love When Harry Met Sally from Thanksgiving until New Years. The Holiday and Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (not Christmas, but feels like it) are other faves, along with all the traditional holiday movies that everybody watches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just outed one of my three fave holiday movies. The other two are A Christmas Story and Love, Actually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen this movie in a long time. Might just have to watch it again. Although I have so many movies to watch it might be awhile. I am trying to watch AFI's 100 greatest love stories. Uh, yeah. I've watched about 8. I have about 20 on the DVR. I have to get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Mr. Darcy!!!

    Meow! I love me some Colin Firth! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a hysterically funny English film that's not Christmassy at all, you MUST see "Death at a Funeral". It's the funniest thing I've seen this year. NOT safe for children!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll pull out Love, Actually soon.
    I had never seen ELF until last year, I've already watched it twice this year. I'm also a sucker for Muppet Family Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny, I absolutely love Bridget but never thought of it as a Christmas movie. I'm gonna pull it out and watch it tonight!

    Well, it's not Christmas until I've seen A Charlie Brown Christmas, The Year without a Santa Claus, and Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, but those aren't really movies.

    Scrooged is one of my very favorite movies ("I'm having the WEIRDEST day!"). Last year I fell in love with Fred Claus, starring Vince Vaughn (who is kind of the anti-Mark Darcy/Colin Firth but he does it for me, too).

    Christmas with the Kranks is a good movie based on a very novella by John Grisham, Skipping Christmas. Actually, I would recommend reading or listening to the book rather than watching the movie. I listened to it on the long drive to my sister's one year and really enjoyed it.

    I have never seen A Christmas Story. I've seen a few scenes but never the whole movie. Am I even allowed to be American now that I've admitted that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. My faves are pretty traditional: Christmas Vacation (love the Griswolds!), The Santa Claus 1, 2 & 3, and the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Nothing else comes to mind. Except the Christmas episodes from Glee, or Big Bang Theory, or Eureka. Those are totally worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Christmas movies. There are so many great ones. I tried to watch Four Christmases the other night, but I didn't make it through the first scene. UGH! Call me a prude if you want. It just started off so stupid that I didn't see it getting any better. I tried to watch a Christmas episode of Everybody Loves Raymond the other night, but it was all about Ray getting Debra in the mood for sex. Ugh, again. I do like the Christmas episodes of Married with Children, though. But like koreen, I guess my favorites are all pretty traditional. We always start the season off with Christmas Vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Colin Firth for Christmas. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think my favorite is quite traditional: "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." I'm not a big movie-watcher, but maybe I can make some time for Colin Firth....

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is a very cute movie. Perfect for gift wrapping.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How is it that I have never seen this movie? I really must correct that omission... STAT!

    I have many favorites already named, but I didn't see "Elf" on anyone's list. It is full of sweetness and surprising heart, plus many wonderful lines to quote.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes! All of the ones that you have listed are on my list as well. I have Little Women permanently on my DVR and watch it year round, but especially at Christmas.
    I also like The Family Stone. Love it. Love all the actors in it. Love the story. Love it. Also, Four Christmases is pretty friggin funny too. And speaking of funny, Christmas Vacation is a MUST in our house. :)
    Happy viewing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My fav is always it's a wonderful life. I LOVE how one life can make such a HUGE impact on the world. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am A Christmas Story gal. You've made quite the compelling argument for Bridget Jones, though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Bridget Jones diary. Did you hear there's a third Bridget Jones book coming out? One of my favorite Christmas movies is Christmas in Connecticut. It's a cheesy, 1940's comedy starring Barbara Stanwyck who finds herself being forced to pretend to be a domestic, homebody, country housewife, when she's actually a New York journalist who doesn't know which end of a spatula is up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My co-worker convinced me to watch Love, Actually last year. Loved it. Hubby's fav is Die Hard. I still like the Grinch (animated). But it's too short!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't think of one so maybe I don't have one, although I do like to watch the movie The Santa Claus with Tim Allen over the Christmas period.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Why have I never considered this a Christmas flick? You are so, so right! And really, any movie with Colin Firth is appropriate always.

    My favorite non-holiday holiday film is "Trading Places."

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one
    and i was just

    curious if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
    I get so much lately it's driving me

    insane so any assistance is very much appreciated.
    Also see my page: http://wiki.oziosi.org/index.php/La_Finca_World_Of_Golf_-_Costa_Blance_Spain

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so with you on this one. My other favorite is While You Were Sleeping. I would watch them all every Christmas, back in my single days. Nowadays I watch Rudolph, Elf, and Home Alone.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Which Little Women? (We are huge fans of the June Powell/Liz Taylor/Margaret O'Brien version here).

    We stick to Elf & A Christmas Story and Charlie Brown here. I used to curl up and spend the day after Christmas with my brother watching Godfather I & II, but having a 10 year old daughter is not conducive to spending the day curled up watching mafia movies. I cannot wait for her to be old enough to revive this tradition with me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly
    Clever Chicks Blog Hop:

    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/clever-chicks-blog-hop-13.html
    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.