Thursday, January 31, 2013

a snowstorm is like wearing high heels

It looks awfully pretty, but it's a pain in the ass.  And the back if you have to shovel a lot.


Today it's going to get really cold, so we're trying to clear the drifted snow while it's above zero out there.


That weatherman hinted at another school cancellation tomorrow if the wind chills drop like they expect them to.  

I confess, cabin fever is setting in.  I took a hike last night just to get outside.  It's miserable out there, but when a girl's been cooped up inside for so long, she'll do anything for a gasp of fresh air and some wind on her cheeks.


We strapped on snowshoes yesterday with every intention of heading through the woods.  Alas!  All the rain had turned to a sea of slush and we couldn't go any further.  Tonight it will freeze over for sure, but what a sloppy mess!

We still have coffee and toilet paper, but supplies are dwindling, so I'll definitely have to get my butt to the grocery store before the temps drop.  I made baked manicotti last night and everyone ate it with complements to the cook.  Of course I never met a pasta/meat/cheese combo I didn't like....

14 comments:

  1. I'm all shivery just looking at your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have to say that the photos look wonderful and I'd like to walk around in that very much. I can feel the coldness on my cheeks. The snow looks very pretty and so soft, I want to touch it. It's probably not the same when you are in it.

    Manicotti sounds great. I enjoyed it a lot the last time I ate it. That was in Houston when I visited my daughter.

    Take care going grocery shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice analogy! And very true. I shoveled about a foot of snow from my driveway which was a good way to make up for the missed gym session. After that we all climbed onto the snowmobile and took a drive into the dark but snowy woods. Magical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right about getting a "gasp of fresh air." When it's this cold, all we can do is gasp!

    I agree completely about snow - so pretty, such a PITA! I'm always so excited about a good snowstorm until I have to go outside. I age about 40 years when walking on ice- and snow-packed parking lots and sidewalks, which makes me feel pretty damn old on campus when all of the 20-year-olds are practically skipping by me. I guess I'd rather look like an aged penguin than fall and break a hip...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, I hope you make it to the store before the coffee and TP run out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snow is so lovely from inside the house. We don't have the snow, but we had the rain and now we're getting the wind and cold. Brrr. I don't envy you at all. Well, except for the manicotti. Pasta/meat/cheese combo is good no matter how you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it is sooooo pretty. We almost never get snow like that. Once every hundred years or so :(

    But I need to make that tp run too. Just haven't gone to the grocery store for a bit ;) I'd better hurry 'cuz we sure don't need "a sloppy mess!" around here. And that would be the worst kind ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. We got just enough wet sticky snow to create a fairy land out back. I probably shouldn't say this without knocking on wood, but we haven't had to play for driveway plowing yet this winter! At $50 a pop, it's a nice break.

    The walk from the parking lot to my building this morning was biting, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re your dwindling grocery supplies: maybe you should declare a policy of "One square per day" on the t.p. until you can get to the store. Good thing you have boys.

    That looks SOOOOO cold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does look pretty but UGH I'm so glad I don't have to shovel that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't know about you, but I am ready for spring. But the only problem, it is just going to be February. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that looks cold! It's really cold here today in the suburbs of Chicago - about 2 degrees with a windchill of -18. We haven't had a major snowstorm this winter; only dustings. But then again, it IS on Feb. 1st! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. BRRRR! It was totally sunny and beautiful here today. Of course, it was 45 degrees, but this is Montana and if the sun is out, that's shorts weather.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.