Wednesday, January 16, 2013

fingers crossed

I just ordered a vintage brown suede leather jacket off of Etsy.  I've been lusting after this (stupid pretentious mother$Y%#&& Sundance won't let you copy their pictures) for two years, but the price is obnoxious and the reviews are not spectacular.  For that kind of money, every review should read "coat of the century--amazing and magnificent quality."  Of course, the more you think you want a brown leather coat, the more the perfectly fine coats you already own look ALL WRONG with your brown boots, your brown tights, your brown skirts, your brown scarves and so forth. 

I'm super slow when it comes to adding to my wardrobe--anything new has to go with everything I already own.  This is why I never buy anything too specific, like the beautiful clothing from Banana Republic.  I adore the look of their clothes, but you can't buy one piece--their clothing requires more wardrobe support and a commitment to just the right shoes and accessories, too.  I'm pretty positive I have the structural support in my closet for a brown leather jacket and I've searched for a long time online for one that a) looks like it will fit, b) has the right balance of character to make it unique but enough classic elements to make it wearable for the rest of this decade, c) won't cost an arm and a leg.  My criteria led me to investigating only vintage options, which is fine except when you shop vintage, sizing and condition are mitigating factors best accounted for firsthand. 

Buying a vintage leather jacket online is a leap of faith, friends.  Stay tuned.

17 comments:

  1. I see many vintage items I'd adore but I know I'd have trouble with the fit. Crossing my fingers that this works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I did the same with a full length fur coat. It took about 2 years before I found the right one and it was soooo worth it! Especially since I wear it about once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it turns out great. Coats are an important and difficult purchase. Especially for 12 year old girls --I think after purchasing three coats we finally found one that was acceptable --not too marshmallow-y, not to refined, not too hot, not too cold --it was a tiring search! I still haven't found a coat I really like, and that I can wear a backpack over, so I'm just using my warmer fleece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what I don't own a coat or jacket the best I have is a light weight cardy............why becuase it doesn't get that cold here although in winter I may feel different............lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Etsy or eBay? I'm a huge fan of both and shop at both frequently.

    And I've found that once you hanker after something for a year or two or more, when you finally do get it, you either love it for the rest of your life or hate it because it didn't meet the hype. I'm crossing my fingers that your coat falls into the first category.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo. I love that jacket at Sundance (I love the camel color-LOVE- oatmeal and camel colors always make me swooney) but I couldn't pay that either. I don't think all of my jackets combined cost that much. ;)
    I had been looking for a black blazer forever and finally found one for 60% and it fits like a dream. Love when that happens.

    Hope your new jacket is all you hoped it would be. Post pics when you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never purchased a single article of clothing online. I can't buy anything unless I try it on. Such a brave lady you are! Sounds like a great jacket you can wear with lots of things. Can't wait to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot wait to see you wearing it. Sometimes the price is worth it. It certainly looks beautiful from the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck and I hope you'll post a picture of it. I've gotten so bad about clothes that I don't even like buying them NEW anymore. Call me a cheap, tightwad, I guess. However, I love thrift stores. I told Rick I was going to the Salvation Army the other day and he asked what I needed. I gave him a funny look and said, "You don't go to the thrift store when you NEED something; it's the thrill of the hunt!" I think he gets it now ... kinda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope it works out. Post a pic of it when you get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you on a Mac? You can screen shot anything.
    I want to see the Etsy jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see the pics too. How does that screen shot keystroke sequence go again ?~! I need to write it down this time ...

    And thrifting is the only way I can afford any clothes except unders and sox. I have gotten great coat deals: full length wool, beige, pockets on seam, hood = $20 \\// A midi length cashmere coat with leather trim = $13 \\// White, furry inside, zipper on-seam pockets for flashlight and gloves, zip front, gathered waist for wearing at night = $5.. I never could afford this kind of luxury if iw ere buying retail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that jacket. I have a Jones of New York lined brown short trenchcoat that I found at Goodwill for $15. What a find! Sending you good juju that the coat works out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck and looking forward to seeing what it looks like! I just bought a new pair of black boots after three years of looking. Caroline told me that they were "even stylish" so I think they'll do :-).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, good luck! I too, am an infrequent and picky clothing purchaser. I know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck! I hope it's fabulous.
    You're so right about the "wardrobe support" that is needed to shop at some stores. I have the same problem with Anthropologie.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.