Monday, January 7, 2013

in which green girl brags a little

So far 2013 is a great year.  Saturday night the Packers POUNDED the Vikings into submission.  Season 3 of Downton Abbey has begun.  I worked out the kinks and planned an awesome girls getaway weekend for my pals.  I beat Mr. D in a game of bowling Friday night.  I single-handledly fixed the air pressure issues in the Momvan's tires.  I taught preschool on Sunday on the fly and I arranged for Jess Riley to join the Bumble Book Club next month to discuss her newest work, All The Lonely People.  I helped Mr. T accomplish half of one of his required Boy Scout merit badges and we had FUN!  I got a complement from Mr. D because the boys' ball handling skills have already improved thanks to my daily dribbling in the kitchen requirement. 

And then there's the matter of Mr. G.  He's a bit of a sports nut, chattering away all day about the NFL, dribbling, throwing, shooting, hitting, catching at every opportunity.  Over the weekend he played in a basketball tournament, his second one.  I missed his first because Mr. D and I had to do a zone defense--Mr. T was in a different tournament across town during the same time.  Anyway, Mr. D told me Mr. G didn't play all that great.  He turned over the ball more than once, had poor handling skills and barely even took a shot.  No matter, he had fun, his team took 1st place and heck, he's only in 2nd grade, right?

Saturday we watched Mr. G play in his second tournament and the kid poured it on.  He forced countless turnovers, grabbed rebounds, made fast breaks, sunk free throws.  In short, Mr. G was a basketball studmuffin.  It was amazing to watch.  I'll be frank here, I adore my sons, but my first two are mediocre athletes--we're all gifted in different ways here at Chez Green Girl.  It's incredible to be the mom in the bleachers watching one son who owns the court and another son who passes off the ball as soon as it lands in his hands because he's so nervous about what to do next.  Talk about extremes, right?  I'm gobsmacked to discover I have a kid who is fast, aggressive, skilled and understands the game.  As if that weren't good enough, he was pissed when I told him it was time to go home.  "What?  Don't I have another game?"  "No, buddy.  Each team plays 4 games in this tournament and that's it.  Everyone's going home."  "So I'm DONE?!?!"   He was so mad to be finished.  Back home he grabbed a basketball and worked on his lay ups in the driveway.  Who is this kid?

But the coolest part about watching Mr. G this weekend was the chemistry he shares with his whole team.  Seven boys, all buddies who play baseball together, too, and they come from the nicest families who cheer on the whole team with enthusiasm.  Each of these kids is polite and mild-mannered.  One is kind of hyper, but none of these boys have ego issues or act bratty or mean ever.  All of these boys are friends outside of sports and I truly enjoy their parents, too.  When these seven boys walk onto the court, a switch flips in them and they change.  They become aggressive and intense and competitive!  Their coach is a pretty mellow guy, so it's not because of him that they act this way.  They don't have the kind of attitude that would get them in trouble, but they play so rough and hard--you'd hardly recognize them from the way they act everywhere else.  In 2nd grade they play as a team, build each other up, and demonstrate a lot of athletic talent.  It's going to be a lot of fun to follow these boys through the next ten years of sports. 

I'd post a photo of this team, but I didn't get permission--so here's a gratuitous shot of Mr. G who is happy the Ravens advanced in the playoffs this weekend.

15 comments:

  1. An excellent year so far! Go Mr. G!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a soccer team like that for a few years. It was great. Now the girls have grown, moved on, some have dropped soccer, some have gone on to the challenge leagues. It was great while it lasted though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when my kids get to be a part of a team like Mr. G's. It is so much fun to watch, and the boys get so much enjoyment and learning out of it.
    So much done and we're only 7 days into 2013! Go Chez Green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great. Looks like fun times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. G -- and all the other boys on his team -- are a credit to their parents' parenting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sigh, well not having our QB didn't help the Vikings at all. Next year..... Sounds like you have a good athlete on your hands. Have fun.

    The neighbors who are packer fans came over and we all had a good time. There was only a tiny bit of venison stew and 2 sourdough biscuits left after supper. A good time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good games and good times are ahead. Congrats to the team!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another Downton abbey fan? Yea!!! I was in a grocery store in Eau Claire last week and every single employee was wearing a Packers jersey. I asked the checkout if one had to be a Packers fan to work there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to the sportive guys! But as usual I am still not finished being impressed with something in the first paragraph. You had me at 'fixed the air pressure issues in the Momvan's tires." Our van's tire pressure is like a spoiled child - always wants attention, and is never truly fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, shoot! It doesn't get any better than that! What a fabulous start to the new year, huh? YAY!

    My oldest is not the most coordinated person and it really makes him mad. He is a perfectionist too, so if he is not good at something right away then he doesn't even want to try. It is frustrating to watch and to constantly tell him that no one is perfect and being great is a lot of work for everyone. I know he could be a good athlete if he put in the work, but right now our big focus is just getting him to try his best, have fun, and have a good attitude.
    Then my second child is a natural athlete. And if he doesn't get it right away he will practice and practice and practice until he gets it. He never gives up. I think that makes it even tougher on his big brother.
    The third boy is a bit young yet, and just kind of goes with the flow. He seems to be pretty athletic as he has to try and keep up with the older boys and they don't go easy on him. Most of the time he is frustrated that he can't do everything the older boys do. But he is a giant, and someday he will tower over his older brothers. I keep telling him that and that makes him happy. ;)

    ANYWAY...
    amazing how many different personalities there are in one family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brag away I have three daughters and none of them had any interest in sport and did their best to get out of doing sport or PE at school

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! Thanks for sharing your pride and letting us join in the joy. My crush on Team Testosterone continues to grow ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know I've said it before, but the littlest brother is almost always the best athlete. Nothing like watching your kid rock it on the court and be part of a great team.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.