Thursday, January 17, 2013

soothing

The Packers lost in the playoffs.  Much of the snow has melted.  I'm fainthearted at the sight of our calendar for the next two months.  It's wicked cold outside.  Not CALIFORNIA cold, but Midwestern cold dropping into single digits and making your Momvan creak when you start it cold.  It's hibernation season.  A season to hunker down and self-medicate through the long nights and short days.  Here's how I'm soothing myself lately:
 
Love. This. Stuff.  A little goes a long way and it smells nice and sweet without overpowering my sensitive nose.  Plus, it's less than $4 a tube.




Just the thing at night to warm your toes and help you sleep.  Especially when you're out of wine and ice water doesn't feel cozy on your throat.



It's always a good season for books, but winter's a great time for reading.  I'm supplementing novels with a steady dose of seed catalogs and gardening books.
 

Long walks in the woods.  Yesterday Mr. G and I scared up a HUGE owl.  It flew out of a tree and the sight was magnificent.   The creek is particularly gorgeous right now--some parts are frozen over and other parts flowing fast.  I need to bring my camera out there next week.


I never tire of looking at tree branches.  They're gothic and creepy and gorgeous and artistic.

Spill it, reader.  What's soothing to you these days?

13 comments:

  1. I love owls. I never see them in the wild though.

    I did a major cleaning over the past week, and purged a bunch of stuff to Goodwill. It's soothing to have a clean house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we first moved to this house, we had a set of baby owls sitting around in a cedar tree. Oh my goodness, they were sooooo adorable. But disappointingly, we've never seen any more owls in our yard.

    Evenings curled up on the couch with a good book or a sketchpad are soothing right now. And lots of hand lotion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's snowing here. I have been on the sofa this afternoon, blanket over my legs, working on my laptop. The girls were let out of school early and they have tomorrow and Monday off, so it feels cozy here, knowing that we can't and won't go anywhere tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Neutrogena! It's cold here too, but we managed to hit 32 today. Whoohoo! I was all excited to see we might get up to 37 next week. I've got over a foot of snow on my deck and I really don't feel up to shoving it off. Sleep is soothing to me, although I haven't been doing much of that lately. Crazy headache!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My new friend who has carved her place in my heart already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, maybe I need to get some of that Neutrogena stuff. I've been using Curel but my hands are still a mess!

    Soothing me: creamy, hot foods (oatmeal, stew, cheese soup, lava cake, McDonald's Cafe Mocha...); soft, warm, fuzzy clothes; and "Home" by Phillip Phillips (I don't care if it's seriously overplayed, it pleases and calms me every time I hear it).

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE that neutrogena stuff. I swear by it.

    Knitting & baking are my soothing things right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a stinky cold. Not much soothing me right now except my bed which I don't get to see enough of. ;)
    Stay warm! We are gonna get into the negatives on Sunday. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cold has come our way now too! (I'm in Michigan) I looove that hand cream, it's pretty much the only thing that keeps my hands from cracking this time of year. And any hot drink it soothing to me -- especially early in the morning before the kids get up -- no matter if it's tea, coffee, or hot cocoa. Usually I prefer the caffeine of the coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My life changed when I found that hand cream. Those Norwegians know a thing or two about dry skin. My hands don't crack and bleed, and I use it on my lips at night to keep them from cracking, too.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.