Monday, January 14, 2013

the worst part about having insomnia

is knowing in your gut that the school secretary's going to call you by 6:00 in the morning asking you to sub.  You went to bed late after a strangely discordant evening spent watching Downton Abbey  (oh, Edith!) and the Golden Globes (WTF, Jodie?).  After a few hours you're wide awake.  You flop around in bed with your head full of all the things you must do.  Then you stagger out to the couch and read Cold Comfort Farm for a half hour.  Thinking you're tired enough, you return to bed to discover the blankets have been whisked away to the far side of the bed and now you're cold and trying to steal a few back without waking up your life partner.  An hour later you finally get comfortable enough to fall asleep.  Until the phone rings and the school secretary's on the line asking if you're free to cover 4-year-old preschool.

Thank goodness it's only a half day assignment.




13 comments:

  1. Ugh. I hate nights like that.

    I'm glad it was only a half day subbing gig and not all day.

    Please tell me you've snuck in a nap now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, that doesn't sound like fun... the pre-school yes, the insomnia not so much. You'll have to make up for it tonight. Did you get enough covers pulled back over to your side of the bed??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be a night I stagger into the guest room. No cover thieves there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh NO! I forgot DA was on last night! Now, I'm going to have to On-Demand it.

    Take an afternoon nap ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! I had the worst night of sleep too! Stayed up till 3 b/c I had been sick and napped most of the afternoon. Then my husband was up till 5, and I didn't fall into a deep sleep until he came to bed. All the while knowing it was back to the grind today! Kinda like those delirious nights though.
    What's wrong with jodie? Other than being exceptionally vague?

    ReplyDelete
  6. BAH!!!! Why does it always go that way? Talk about taking a double hit. I hope you have time to take a little nap, or at least relax this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Cold Comfort Farm - so funny!

    I coughed for hours last night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that's the worst! Hope you made it through preschool with 4-year olds and got a rest after! Nice to find your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always say, the worst part of insomnia is getting through the next day. I rarely have time for naps, finding instead that I just push through and crawl into bed early the next night, trying to catch up. And perhaps take a bit of something to help me sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, lawsy - a half day with 4-year-olds after a bad night? That's torture!

    Re Jodie Foster - thank you! So many people are exclaiming how deep, emotional, and brave her speech was. I'm still trying to figure out 1) who didn't know she is gay, 2) is her mother living or dead, and 3) was she thanking the industry for the award or spouting deep bitterness at her 47 years in the business. Admired her hair, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ack! Those nights are hard. Mornings are even harder. I haven't been sleeping well lately myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh. I had insomnia night before last. But last night? I guess it was the rain pouring down....I slept the best I've slept in ages! If only every night were like that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Edith is right, I cried along with her. I really hope she finds a good man, she feels so left out.
    and Mary, she really irritates me right now, I know that Matthew decided to receive the money, but her insistence on his accepting it didn't seem to take his feelings into account.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.