Tuesday, February 19, 2013

brutal

More snow today and consequently some wretched road conditions.  Mr. G looked outside and demanded to know why there wasn't a 2-hour delay.  Team Testosterone got used to the school cancellations real quickly this winter.  But I had to bring the Momvan in for maintenance this morning, so they got a break from their daily hike to the bus stop. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you it took me half an hour to drive less than 7 miles this morning.  The side roads are awful, the intersections worse.  But it's really pretty out there with almost 2 inches of the fluff covering every surface.

The Momvan's been starting hard these days and I fear its days are numbered.  Hopefully the mechanic can fix it--and it won't cost hundreds of dollars.

Our dog has found his voice.  Now he barks all the time.  He barked at me when I pulled into the driveway in the loaner vehicle.  He barked at the neighbor plowing out our driveway at 5:00 this morning (thankyouverymuchforwakingmeupyoustupidmutt).  He's barking at me from outside the window as I type this and I've become that lady who bangs on the window and yells at the dog to shut up


That crazy virus I had last week is still clinging to my lungs.  I've got NO wind in me.  Just when you hit your groove exercising and feeling great, something inevitably crops up to stop you in your tracks.  Instead of skiing outside, I'm inside coughing up phlegm.  Ugh.   And I'm feeling weak which stinks because we're doing this traditional form in karate that's totally in my wheelhouse, but I'm not able to be as strong and precise with it as I'd like.  And (this is a kick in the teeth) I'm doing the modified version of it.  Oh the SHAME.  I always said I'd quit karate when I couldn't do it at the best level. 


See, there's one move that's nearly impossible to execute.  You stand in a kind of squat--called "horse stance"--and you're supposed to jump and spin in the air and land in the same position.  I struggle with any kind of jump-spin midair-land in an upright position.  To jump, spin, land in horse stance is tremendously difficult.  Kung Fu Master Mr. O told me I could step around instead of jumping and spinning.  It's mighty brutal on my ego to accept this modification.  I've been watching videos of this form on You Tube and it seems some variations allow for a step into the jump.  I might start practicing it that way.  It's still a "cheat" but it's not as obvious as stepping around.

I cannot deny this brutal truth:  I'm a white girl who cannot jump. 

20 comments:

  1. Ugh. I hope you feel better soon. It's nasty when that stuff hangs on and on. I feel so lucky I've avoided catching anything so far this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about the lack of skiing. If we had a significant amount of snow here (instead of the measly inch that messed up my early spring today) I'd be crying in frustration over not feeling up to skiing.
    Hope you can breathe easier soon!

    PS: I've seen a photo so I *know* you can jump ala Karate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I can jump, I can't jump without peeing myself. Talk about shame. I'd be doing the modification for sure.
    I'm over winter. How 'bout you? I know you have it worse, though. Our snow hasn't been sticking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, down here they'd probably just cancel school until March...

    Hope it's not too expensive to fix the van.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are back to full good health soon. The snow photos are starkly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have your dilemma's here too...terrible, miserable roads, weather and attitude toward not being at full capacity for breathing, thinking or doing 'anything.', but I do not have a yapping dog outside my window...phew on that one. Have a great day in spite of it all...the sun just came out with the blowing snow, so at least, that's something positive., right?
    BlessYaGirl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I heard Jax this morning! He didn't wake us, we were already up (Thanks alot Trevor....) but I was surprised since that pup never barks.

    This winter needs to end NOW. 30 minutes to get from home to Kimberly. this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The roads were really bad down here this morning too. Emma had Kempo last night and the drive there was in driving rain, and the drive home was through a couple inches of wet snow on top of icing roads. That was all still there this morning --I swear, it looked as though nothing had been salted or plowed this morning!

    I am really ready for the snow and ice to go away. I'm sorry you're still sick --winter colds seem to linger so long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today is a beautiful sunny day in Iowa. Cold and windy but sunny. But we are in a Winter Snow watch for Thursday morning at 6 till 9 on Thursday evening. So, I guess we will be returning to snowy driving conditions and all that goes with it. YUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear that your sick. Hope you feel better soon!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Umm ... I thought "white girl who can't jump" was sort of redundant. You're in good company, trust me.

    I hope the crud lets go of you soon. I have a feeling things will look up when you no longer feel so phlegmastic.

    Also? I am totally the lady who yells out the (closed) window at the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If it were me, I would be doing all modifications, fully accepting my wimpdom.

    On Friday it was a warm day in Baltimore and I tried to go for a walk but ended up with a coughing spasm that put an end to any exercise. I recommend that you rest your lungs, drink some blueberry tea or ginger tea, and save the leaping and jumping for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you got the 3 week bug that was going around here. We had it. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Feel better. It's so unfun to be laid out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got the flu and some sort of an infection as I write this. My niece was sick with it and still is not better 5 weeks later. I doubt either one of us is capable of jumping in any kind of karate move. You should be proud of yourself that you are doing karate at all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. is it possible that the virus has morphed into a bactirial infection ala bronchitis? That can cause lingering issues that aren't all that bad, but can cause fatigue. And if you can't get a good deep breath, it is no wonder you can't jump.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hell I am a short fat middle aged woman who can not jump either.......lol
    As for the virus I am sorry you are still not feeling great that truly sucks, hope you soon start to feel more like your oldself and am up jumping around like a school girl............although how hard is it to jump in snow.......?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is always just when you hit your groove! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you don't get better soon, get thee to a doctor. You could be breeding a low-grade case of pneumonia.

    PS: 55% of the way through "Whipped" and chuckling out loud a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so right. The minute I start getting in shape and really loving running again I get an injury or something that sidelines me. Ugh.
    I hope you feel better soon! We have another storm coming tonight. Egad! Hurry up, spring!

    PS- Why do you still have your captcha on? I've tried to submit this comment 3 times now but I can't read the flipping things. BAH!!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.