Thursday, February 7, 2013

I have a guy for that


You know how I’ve got a guy for everything? Well, they’re all in New York. My suit guy, my shoe guy, my ticket guy, my club guy… and if I don’t have a guy for something I have a guy guy to get me a guy. And oddly enough, his name is Guy.
Every time Barney Stinson says "I have a guy for that" it totally resonates with me because I?  Say that all the time.   And it's true.  I have a guy for almost anything you can think of.  Need a plumber?  I can give you no fewer than four numbers of guys I know.  Carpentry?  Check.  Electrician?  You betcha.  Landscaper?  Yep.  Tech guy to fix your computer?  Heck, back in my teaching days (when kids brought in their work on floppy disks, yo) I had a rep of being That Lady Who Knew a Guy who could get almost anything--anything--off that disk so a kid could turn in their work.  I was legen (wait for it....) dary for knowing a guy who could pull data off a disk.
I have a small engine repair guy.  I have a car repair guy.  I have a tree guy, a wetlands guy and a prairie guy.  I can find a guy who can get you hooked up with fireworks and game tickets and used cars and custom-built cabinetry (actually, these are four different guys).  I have a guy who does brick work, I know a floor guy, a pinball machine repair guy, a guy who paints, a drywall guy,  a guy who can fix your antique grandfather clock, a guy who can clean your carpet, a guy who can dig a pond in your back yard and sell you the gravel to line the bottom of it.
It takes a village to keep Green Girl's world running in perfect order.
I'm always handing out the name and/or number of a guy to friends in need.  It's my special gift, I guess, to know all kinds of people who do all kinds of things.  Waaaaay back, during my bartending days, I used to collect jobs the way some people collect shot glasses or bells.  A guy would come into the bar and I'd say, "So, what do you do?"  It was interesting to hear what people did for a living and I heard it all--from blues traveler to professional wrestler to dry cleaning equipment repairman.  That's partly why I know a guy for almost anything you can think of.  Plus, a lot of my regular customers were plumbers, electricians, construction workers and car repair experts.  It was really convenient as a poor college student to have any number of people at my disposal to give me a hand when I had car trouble.  I'll never forget one guy in particular who ran a salvage yard--he replaced a broken windshield on my Pontiac LeMans for me for free.  Because I was working my way through college.  Such a kindness.

Here and there I continue to collect all nature of guys who do various things.  If you required a guy, I could recommend my financial adviser guy, my bank guy, my butcher guy and my heating and cooling guy.

Yeah, I have a guy for that.  And they're all really good guys.  When a fellow Bumble Book Clubber, girlfriend, neighbor, mom at a baseball game muses, "Oh, _____ is broken at our place and we need to find someone to repair/build/replace it."  That's when I announce, "I have a guy for that."   It's true.  I always do.

11 comments:

  1. I just have to ask --are any of your guys women? :-)

    BTW, I had a Pontiac Lemans Can Am --late 70's edition, I think-- in college :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, very few of my guys are women. Which is why I call them all guys.

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly enjoy the gals that can get me a guy. :-) Word of mouth, man. That's where it's at.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way. And if I don't know a guy, I can track one down for you in less than an hour.
    Back when I bartended, my insurance guy was a regular and he was the kind of guy who always knew a guy....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're lucky. I do have a good plumbing guy and a good brick laying guy, but otherwise, we're pretty short of guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know any guys, and I don't know any guys who know guys. It's a great loss in my life I guess. I need some guy to paint my apartment and I have no idea where to turn. xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a guy for that too....lucky for my checkbook, he lives at my house ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My stepsister has always dated someone who had one of those jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you move local, so I can call you when I need a guy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's my hubby too. The hubby is very handy and can do many things, but he also knows a guy to handle all kinds of jobs. And he has represented them so they do favors back and forth. That is how we got this awesome house built so inexpensively. So good.
    It is always good to know a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I married that guy and have not had to invite a repairman to my house yet. I hope my guy outlives me cuz I won't know what to do otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.