Tuesday, February 26, 2013

yesterday

I put on my skis and grabbed my new (used) poles and glided down the trail into the woods.  The warm smell of late winter hung thick as I zig-zagged through the trees.  I heard birds singing, a woodpecker drilling and crows squabbling.  The snow was decorated with hundreds of tracks--turkey, deer, rabbit, mouse, raccoon, squirrel.  I wore snow pants, but no coat and the sun shone bright enough that I wished I'd remembered sunglasses.

The tree buds are fattening now and even though we're getting more snow today, the signs point to winter ending on schedule.  I was looping home when the snow began to get sticky.  There's this temperature where snow becomes impossible to ski across and I step-skied back to the house, glad I hadn't waited until afternoon to head out. 

Mr. D took me out to lunch and we ate breakfast skillets.  I like the house skillet (potatoes, tomatoes, cheese, ham, peppers, mushrooms, onions) with the eggs over-easy.  Sourdough toast on the side.  At this particular restaurant they serve it up fried to perfection and you can order a half skillet (2 eggs instead of 4), which is exactly enough. 

All afternoon I wrote and wrote.  I'm tweaking and adding like a fiend because Thursday night I'm handing this baby over to my teen reader for feedback.

After returning home from school, Mr. B helped me hang a new birdfeeder.  Within half an hour tiny chickadees flew in to eat.  Then my boy helped me shovel another layer of slush and snow and ice off the driveway.  When the weather is so mild, you have to find every excuse to stay outside.

There were cards in my mailbox, greetings online and no expectation that I cook anyone dinner. 

Yesterday was grand.

15 comments:

  1. No cooking dinner? What a nice birthday present! Belated birthday greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, I hope it was lovely and the rest of the week pans out just as well. I love birthdays when no dinner is necessary !~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! And that is my kind of skillet. Love them.
    I am so happy to be seeing signs of spring. I might have mentioned that before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a magical day. We had to get out of the house yesterday, too. I took the girls to the zoo. The white snow and bare trees made for great animal viewing. The temps were warm enough to be comfortable, but cold enough to keep most people away. We had the zoo to ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds Grand! I love that you can ski so easily.
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  6. "no expectation that I cook anyone dinner" is what it is like in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed my first drink outside in the sun yesterday. Grand indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ski how awesome I have never tried and doubt I ever will........lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cross country skiing is one of my favorite outdoor activities. I'm so jealous that you can just put on your skis and head out into the woods! Sounds like a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely birthday! I would love to try cross country skiing, but alas, Virginia is not the best place to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a perfectly lovely birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Togеtheг withbinarу οptіons,
    аll you've to execute is to business determined by your online dating style. Support and Resistance Levels - It is at these peaks and troughs. Most often this is done thoughtfully, and conservatively it can really increase the value of a put as" stock insurance".

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.