I feel better today. The sun shines. The tank's clean. I inhaled some fresh cold winter air and prayed for peace. Just when I thought I'd fly off the handle with frustration, I took a couple Advil and spent a moment counting some blessings:
* another awesome night at Cubbies with the best group of kids and volunteers
* a pleasant afternoon with Team Testosterone after school
* listening to Mr. B chatter en route to church and home last night in the Momvan
* Mr. D's veggie/fruit slurry diet is cleaning out our freezer stash
* a complementary email from the school I worked at last week teaching kids to peer edit
* Elizabeth Jane Howard's books
* kind words from Mr. G's wrestling coaches
* a lull between sporting seasons
Last weekend Mr. B's tournament basketball season ended. In all four tournaments they played in, Mr. B's team lost their first game by a heartbreakingly small margin and then went on to win the rest of their games...until last weekend when the team kind of fell apart and lost more games than they won.
Nevermind that. What's important is how Mr. B played. He hustles. He's figuring out the mental part of the game pretty quickly and steadily improved his skills as a player throughout the season. His ball handling skills have become solid, he can set a great pick, he can pass the ball around well with his teammates.
Mr. B works hard and his practice paid off. He still struggles to make a basket, but the rest of his game is coming along and I suspect a summer of shooting around in the driveway will only help him develop. Mr. B seems pretty determined to keep plugging away. Plus, he plays in a program that doesn't allow ball-hogging, so Mr. B gets a chance to play and contribute.
Most important is that he had FUN and enjoyed playing the game. He's proud of his season and I'm proud of his effort. I'm also thankful for such a fine program with so many volunteers willing to coach these boys--and coach them well, teaching them the fundamentals AND good sportsmanship.
(I can't include any video footage of Mr. B's basketball season because a) I'm having technical difficulties and b) basketball videos are kind of boring anyways and harder to make exciting, unlike wrestling videos which are practically handed to you by virtue of proximity, speed and focus.)