Friday, March 29, 2013

bare

That's the word that pops into my mind when I think of Easter. 
Bare cross--Jesus isn't still hanging there .  He was taken down, buried and placed in a tomb.  That tomb checked out as empty, despite the government's best efforts to guard it so that there couldn't be any funny business.  (Matthew 27:62-66)
Bare tomb--after the Passover, a few people dropped by and that grave was empty.  (Matthew 28:1-10)
Bare facts--a study of the early Christian church reveals how its survival can only be explained by divine intervention.  There's no rhyme or reason for Christianity to prevail.  Early Christians were persecuted at every step.  You'd have to be pretty stupid or crazy to insist on something--unless you absolutely knew for a fact it was true.  And even then?  The best efforts of governments and armies haven't been able to lay waste to it.
Bare slate--Jesus's sacrifice + my acceptance = God's view of me is clean.  Not sin-stained.  Not tarnished by my past.  Not affected by my future.  Forgiven.  Not perfect, but forgiven.  What a gift! (I John 4:10)
Bare heart--it's a joyful thing to celebrate on Easter Sunday--hope and resurrection!  My God lives!  My God loves!   I'm not weighed down by worry, guilt, fear or uncertainty.  I'm free to live abundantly, knowing where I stand.
Bare.
How fortunate!
Happy Easter Weekend!
(even if you're not wearing pretty new clothes, even if you're celebrating chocolate eggs instead of resurrection, even if you're not celebrating for any of the same reasons, I hope your weekend is joyful.)

8 comments:

  1. Your words capture what Easter means to me and to Christians round the globe. The word "bare" describes the tomb, that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very Blessed and Happy East to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Resurrection is everywhere. The snow is finally melting and trees budding and a few crocuses and robins appear. The time rebirth and Easter Sunday in two days. Happy Easter to you and yours...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very happy Easter to you and the fam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post!
    Hope you have a very blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Have a blessed Easter, Melissa. :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.