Monday, March 11, 2013

disco ball

This weekend Speedy dropped by--he was home for a weekend before heading to Florida for spring training.  Speedy's one of Mr. D's baseball players who spent a summer working for us.  He's obsessing right now over selecting a walk-up song--you know, that music they'll play each time he steps up to the plate during a game. 

Well, I was full of suggestions for Speedy.  Hard rock and country are way overused for walk-up songs.  Guys picking something by AC/DC are a dime a dozen and let's face it, so are white boys who like rap.  I told him to pick something TOTALLY out of the box.

Like "Macho Man" by the Village People.

Or "Staying Alive" by the BeeGees.

Maybe something real sexy by Barry White.

"Brick House" by the Commodores or "Knock on Wood" by Amii Stewart.

Speedy didn't like my suggestions--even though they were totally baseball appropriate (Hello!  "Knock on Wood!").  But the whole conversation got me thinking.  How cool would it be to have walk-up music playing, a soundtrack multiplying your natural mojo.  If I had a walk-up song, you know, theme music that would play as I stepped out of the Momvan to head into the grocery store, for example, or when I entered the dojo, what would it be?

I think "Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer would pump me up pretty well for most situations.  And "It's Raining Men" by The Weathergirls should definitely play loud every time I'm cleaning up or shuttling around Team Testosterone. 

Spill it, reader.  What would you pick as your walk-up song?  It doesn't have to be disco, even though we all know disco makes everything cooler.

10 comments:

  1. The image of you heading into the grocery store with a walk-up song playing cracked me up.
    Mine would be "Respect", sung by Aretha Franklin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Third movement (Allegro) of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto in G. Because I'm so cool it's like I'm from three centuries away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly, the first song that popped into my head is "Flash's Theme" by Queen. (It's the theme song to the Flash Gordon movie that came out in 1980.) I guess it's the heavy, deep beat underneath the song and the "FLASH! Ahhh-ahhh!" that does it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hit Me With Your Best Shot would be appropriate of late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, since my ego gets the best of me, She Thinks She's Edith Head, by They Might Be Giants might be appropriate. Convoy would also work, since I usually have at least two people in tow, and I often galavant around town with three or more of my sisters. Today, though, is a good, good day, so I think I'd have to go with The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA by Donna Fargo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is kind of how I view my ringer for my cell phone. Currently I have "She's freaky and she knows it- bamp-ba-ba-bamp-ba-ba!" by Justin Timberlake. It makes me laugh.
    I would suggest the song that goes, "All the the girlies say he's pretty fly for a white guy." That makes me chuckle too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One can find plenty of funny pictures and videos by a
    single click on any search engine like Yahoo or Google.
    Emotions have great impact on our human body because when we have emotions, our body changes throwing
    our body in balance and preparing us for remaining happy and healthy.
    Music: My - Space is indeed the friend of music, but it has close ties with the independent artists, who make up
    for what they lack in record contracts and money by being My - Space-strong, building
    a strong fan base and creating loyal street teams, which then take on a lot of the advertising on the
    band's behalf.

    Take a look at my page - funny pictures and sayings for facebook

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I'm Coming Out" - Miss Diana Ross.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first cell phone had a great ringtone option: The Mexican Hat Dance. Every single time my phone "rang" in a meeting, everyone in the room would stop and bop along to the beat (and clap!), so I'll go with that one.

    Also, I really think he should have chosen "Staying Alive" by the BeeGees.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.