Monday, March 18, 2013

fishing





This parody?  Straight up real, reader.  Drive to any lake in Wisconsin and you will see these boys.  Maybe not these exact boys, but unmistakably flannel/Carhartt/camo-wearing ice fishermen.  Cold-weather rednecks, if you will.

This parody tickles my funny bone for a totally different reason:  I'm writing a book, Across the River, and it's about a fishing town in Wisconsin.  One of the main characters is a bait shop owner named Maw Cooper.  The story begins in March, when the ice shanties are still out on the lakes and bayous, and wraps up with the end of the white bass run.  The plot includes minnows, urban sprawl and leukemia and much of it is based on true stories, fictionalized to make them more believable.

When my book's ready, I'm totally hooking up with these boys (pun intended) to see if they'd do a promotional video.  The fit is so perfect, it's like God created Macklemore so I could find them and create fishing novel/YouTube promotional video brilliance.




11 comments:

  1. Great way to promote a book, if yo ask me. And a fun way to start my Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want some more real life ice fishermen for your promotional items, do I have the dudes for you. I've got a brother in law and a few cousins who live to sit on an upturned bucket and wait for fish in the cold....one of those cousins doesn't shave from Thanksgiving until Easter so his chin doesn't get cold outside on the ice. They'd be uber-fun to work with, provided you pay them in beer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! My entire family is constantly singing that song. I love a good parody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read Across the River.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray, another book!

    Wisconsin has bayous?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If these kids were 15 years older I would mistake them for my hubby's friends. No joke. And I love 'em.
    BUT, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pull up in a highlander. More likely some kind of pickup or suburban. ;)
    Too funny. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta love the shorts in the ice :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. That video is excellent. I FINALLY ordered your book, so I can read it, and then start anxiously awaiting the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that your promotional materials are in place even before the book is done.

    You know, I've often wondered how you fit writing into your daily schedule. Have you ever blogged about how you work writing into everything else?

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.