Tuesday, March 12, 2013

ornery

Years ago I just decided that March is winter and spring doesn't really begin until April.  By adopting this calendar, I'm a lot less frustrated and pissed off because the weather in March tends to be lousy.  Cold, snowy, sleety and damp.  Like last weekend.

We got a ton of rain and warm enough temps that the snow started to melt.  Our creek is now flooded up over the fields and the woods is impassable.  I didn't get too excited, though.  I bundled, up, went outside, chipped a length of tubing free from a snowbank, hooked it up to our sump pump drain and waited for the weather to get cold again.

Sure enough, it'll be in the 30's all week and we've got fresh snow on the ground.  But I can't go skiing on my trails because it rained and thawed everything to slush and it's not cold enough freeze it again, so the woods, fields, almost all of my ski trails remain impassable.  It's not warm enough to get any work done outside, either, so I have to ignore my spring chore list until April.  March is a whole month of sitting inside looking outside waiting for the situation to change.

Plus it's dark now when we wake up and no one's very happy about that either.

And I slept funny (funny weird, not funny hilarious), so my shoulder and elbow are all wonky.

Mr. D's decided to do a juice fast for the rest of this week, so I get to make two kinds of food--carbohydrate/protein based meals for the bachelors, veggie/fruit based slurry for him.  I'm sticking with dark chocolate and cookies with a side of wine because hellyeahit'sthattimeofmonth.

And everything is working my last nerve.  From people who don't know how to operate their directional signals while driving to idiot Facebook posts.  (Don't get me started on polio vaccinations or pictures of skinny girls or debating gun control.  Really.)

Yep, like the whole month of March, I'm in an ornery mood so I'm going to lay low and keep away from potential landmines like the internet, television and AM radio.


17 comments:

  1. I'm ornery too. Let's eat chocolate and drink wine together. Hope your week improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Team Testosterone has lots to do to keep them away from the house today. :)
    Hope tomorrow is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People who like spring are stupid. Yes, yes, I get the whole "oh, everything buds and starts to look pretty and the promise of new life and flowers blooming" and all of that crap, but too many raw, cold, dark, damp days get tossed in. You can't count on spring. Well, I guess you can - spring is forever a tease.

    Word selection is everything. I love smoothies but there is no appeal whatsoever in a "veggie/fruit based slurry." :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds like March, we still haven't had much melt. Are you writing? You never know when you will need that feeling of frustration and waiting for one of your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, yeah, all of that. Except that in Dorset, we are SUPPOSED to get spring in March. By Decree. And because it's my birthday month. So where is it, eh?

    Meanwhile on the outskirts of a rainforest somewhere, mum and dad spent a shitty week fighting bushfires. They lost many, saplings and a lot of bamboo. Years of work, up in smoke. How come I can't send them some sleet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. March is annoying me, too. I'm with you, that I don't expect spring this early, but that doesn't mean I'm not going stir crazy. To combat the cabin fever in the last couple days, we've been for a long drive, I took the girls to the library, and today I took them to the museum. Anything to have a new place to burn off some energy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are my feelings about March too --I always tell myself that March is still winter, then I won't be disappointed. And every 10 years or so I get pleasantly surprised, like last spring.

    But I have to admit, even though spring has lots of crumby days, there isn't much I like better than wandering around my garden on that rare warmish day, looking for the first shoots of green. I never get tired of that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take out skiing in the yard and add a side of crappy work life and that is my March in a nutshell. Waiting, just waiting for something to happen

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I am in one of those moods I have a desire to find the landmines and throw rocks at them to see them blow up.............yeah I am warped.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must hate my post today because March is spring for me. Sorry 'bout that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the south of the Netherlands we are currently covered by a layer of icy snow that absolutely nobody was waiting for. The crocuses and daffodils were already starting to poke out of the ground. March is notorious for being unpredictable and we all know it, but we all want to forget that little fact. Even April will do as it will, so we can't cheer too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. March is practically summer here, so I'm good.

    There are soooo many things to be irritated by these days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband is equally unhappy with the poor skiing conditions. March here on the northern part of the WA/ID border is a mix of cold rain, cold sunshine (welcome always), and wet snow.
    Me? I'm all for joining you in eating dark chocolate and cookies with a side of wine, and I'm resisting the urge to smack Jenn (whom I love, so it's all good, right?).

    My friend in northern Sweden says there are actually 8 seasons: fallwinter, winter, winterspring, spring, springsummer, summer, and summerfall. (And doesn't summerfall sound lovely?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's why we NEED spring break about this time of year ;D

    ReplyDelete
  15. If Mr. D wants to do a juice fast, he should whip up his own slurry. You're not a short order cook and your kitchen is not a diner.

    The next time you're frustrated by your weather, just breathe in and remind yourself "Jenworld... Jenworld... Jeeeeeeenwooooooooorrrrllddd..."

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am there with you. As is my friend Betty. March. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Polio vaccines? LOL, what has the polio vaccine done to you?

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.