Tuesday, March 26, 2013

versatile

I'm in the middle of editing someone's short story collection--it's really marvelous.  The author writes every story in the first person POV, but each voice is pretty distinct and the stories take place in so many different time periods and settings.  I've never quite grasped the art of writing a short story, although I confess to making very few attempts at it.  Anyway, I've got about 150 pages to go and then I switch to editing a curriculum guide. Versatility's my middle name, yo. 

This afternoon I will substitute teach for Spanish.  Did you know that's another passable skill I've acquired?  I nearly minored in it in college.  Teaching middle school Spanish should be a breeze, no crees?

I'll close out my day teaching preschoolers about Jesus fishing for men.  You bet there will be goldfish crackers.  It's a tricky thing to explain metaphors to children who tend to be very literal in their view of the world.  I don't want them thinking Peter, James and Andrew ran around throwing nets over their neighbors and dragging them over to Jesus. 

We're learning a new sword form in the dojo with a broadsword (I've only worked with a katana until now).  It's very traditional and the name (which I forgot) translates as "fencing" and since you only move side to side, it does look like you're fencing an invisible opponent.  I wish it was a complex (2-person combat-style form)  because that? Would look so spectacular.  The footwork and sword handling are pretty complicated, my head feels like it might explode by the end of class.  This style of martial arts isn't really my thing, I'm more of a kung fu girl and my weapon of preference is a bo staff, but live and learn, right?  The video I posted below isn't the form, but it's pretty similar.  I recognize a lot of the moves and stances.  (Good grief I'm a geek, posting obscure samurai crap on my blog.)

And no, I do not wear red satin jammies when I work on it.  Not even at home.

9 comments:

  1. Oh have fun teaching spanish. That's definitely a skill I'd lack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a busy day. Teaching middle school students anything has got to be a challenge. I am so glad that you recognize that preschoolers are (mostly) too young to grasp metaphors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a day! I took 5 years of French in high school and could not teach a word of it now --it's quite impressive that you can just jump in and teach Spanish.

    I love that video! I can't wait to show it to Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spanish is one language I never learned but would find useful to know. There are so many speakers of it around the world. I find that once you know a language well, and try to use it regularly, you don't forget it, and if immersed in it, all of it comes back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy cats, are you kidding? DANG you are smart :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a woman of many talents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. obscure samurai crap = good reading for us.

    Cool-odi on the jammies, too. Maybe Santa could be persuaded to bring a pair or three (for the night sweaters among us) to those of us who Lurve Them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I don't want them thinking Peter, James and Andrew ran around throwing nets over their neighbors and dragging them over to Jesus."

    Bwahahaha... thank you for that visual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there anything you don't do? I've decided I want to be Melissa when I grow up. Seeing as you're just a few years older than I am, I have a lot of work to do, to catch up!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.