Monday, March 4, 2013

wrapped

Mr. T finished 2 of his 4 remaining merit badges before he can file for his Eagle Scout project.  He's got the other 2 partially completed. I see light at the end of this tunnel!

I'm reading Elizabeth Jane Howard's The Cazalet Chronicles.  Cannot put it down.  It's like Downton Abbey only better.  Except there's no Carson, which is a bummer.  Thank you, Patience, for the recommendation.

I'm off to teach some high school kids the finer points of peer editing today at a local charter school.  I'm both excited and a bit nervous.  In my preparation I was digging through my old teaching files in the basement.  Good grief I have a lot of stuff in one file cabinet.  I plan to head down tomorrow afternoon and give it a good cleaning out.  If I should ever return to the classroom, I certainly don't need most of those old handouts.  Times have changed and if I did head back to teaching, I'd want to develop lots of new, improved resources.  I think I can cull at least half of the cabinet for the next PTA paper drive.

Mr. G finished his wrestling season with two more wins and a PIN!  Many tournaments hand the kids an actual safety pin threaded with beads to celebrate their "pins" and the fashion around these parts is for the wrestlers to stick them to knit stocking caps and wear them to their meets.  Sort of like the medal-laden letterman jackets of yore.  Anyway, Mr. G collected his first pin and a trophy for first place on his mat this weekend.  His overall season:  9 wins 1 loss.  Below is the video of his pin, which happened at the very end of this match.  I cannot post the entire thing--in the second minute Mr. G brutally threw his opponent face first into the mat and I still gasp when I watch it.  This last minute of their 3-minute battle is pretty impressive though.  His opponent was good and fought hard.  (Also:  that low moaning/crying sound is a poor little guy who didn't take his 2nd loss of the day very well--you'll hear that throughout.)


I also wrapped my YA manuscript and shuttled it off to my teen reader for feedback.  Fingers crossed that she likes it!

Spill it, reader.  What have you wrapped up?

14 comments:

  1. There's a British TV version of the Cazalets, starring Hugh Bonneville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the book recommendation - thanks! Have a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debuted a flyer yesterday that I designed from start to finish. I am not artistic by nature but the flyer turned out well and seemed to be well-received yesterday so I am proud of it.

    Your boys are so accomplished - congratulations to all of them! How old is Mr. T? Seems the boys I knew who became Eagle Scouts were high school age and I feel like Mr. T is not quite that old yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing is wrapped up, but lots of things are taking flight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go, Mr T! You can do it!

    I finished my tax returns. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Mr T and Mr G in their endeavors, and I wrote down the book you highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing is wrapped up around here. It feels like everything in my world is in limbo, which is both exciting and anxiety inducing.

    Your sons sure are making their mark on this world. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. That video is exhausting to watch. And I'm not ashamed to admit it (okay maybe a little) but when I saw your boy's hand immediately shoot out to help the boy up I got teary. LOVE HIM. So good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just think you're great.

    That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you liked the book!
    Congrats to Mr. G. on his trophy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of that book. Sounds good.

    I haven't wrapped up much of anything lately. I did start my new part time job this week though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm on the national blog for Connections again, and the social media pundits tell me that my stats are off the charts compared to the regular posts. Woo-hoo! Makes layoff a little less likely in this worrisome world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wrapped up sewing but anxious to start again. Busy getting a group of youth ready to leave for Mission Arlington over spring break and will be glad to wrap that up this week. Logan is coming home on Friday, he and I will be busy wrapping up scholarship applications for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love when the kid in the t-shirt beats the kid in the fancy uniform. Every time, I love it! That book may be just the thing for me in my current condition.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.