Tuesday, April 16, 2013

condolences and an explanation

Oh, Boston.  You poor city.  And runners!  To train and endure and accomplish such a mighty thing only to have your world rocked apart as you cross the finish line.  My heart aches for you, too.  I try to imagine my own peace and security interrupted by such brutality, but I cannot. 
***

The fact that we have a Lego room is a lucky and enviable thing.  Some people have TV rooms, game rooms, work out rooms, crafting rooms, dining rooms and guest rooms.  We have a library with a wall full of books and we have an empty bedroom full of bricks.  Here's how the Lego room came about:

Our house plan called for 4 bedrooms, 3 up and 1 on the main floor.  Upstairs we decided to make the middle bedroom more open so it could be flex space in case we didn't require it by installing French doors and skipping the closet.  Down the hall is a ginormous room, over the size of the master and mistress bedroom on the main floor.  On the other side of the hall is a small yet serviceable bathroom and a small-ish bedroom.  Initially that small bedroom was the nursery.  Mr. B was installed there upon his arrival 3 months after we moved into this house.  When Mr. G came along, Mr. B moved down the hall into the ginormous room with Mr. T and Mr. G took over the nursery.  Then one day Mr. G moved down the hall into the ginormous room, we relieved the tiny bedroom of its crib and changing table, and all three bachelors shared a bedroom without much fuss or disagreement. 

A little over two years ago, Mr. T moved into the center room.  We bought a clothes rack for him and papered the French doors with old maps to provide him a bit more privacy.  Still, except for a brief stint when Mr. B took it over, no one ever sleeps in the smallest bedroom except overnight guests like grandma.  (I knew he wasn't serious about moving in when he insisted on leaving all his clothes behind in the ginormous bedroom.  Sure enough, he lasted about a month.)

The ginormous bedroom is perfect for sprawling activities like grappling, Nerf wars and setting up farms and battle castles and army men.  That quiet room down the hall?  Ideal for Legos because nothing else is in there and the space is never disturbed.  Lego kits get built without danger of getting crunched or demolished. To that end, we outfitted it with bins and drawers, large flat surfaces and shelves to accommodate what is no doubt Team Testosterone's most expensive habit to date.  Squashed along the edge of the room is a bed, a very old and comfortable armchair and some empty hangers in the closet.  Happily, when we do have guests, they're kind enough to leave the Legos alone so the boys don't mind sharing the turf.

And that, friends, is how we ended up with a designated Lego room. 
***

Yesterday while doing their homework, Mr. G asked if we were Jewish.  Such an odd thing to wonder and he never really explained the source of his question.  Still, it opened up a good conversation about Old Testament, New Testament, culture, religion and identity.

We also discussed why a turtle might be an ideal second pet, why it's not nice to push your brother when he's peeing (because it creates more laundry for Mom duh!), and North Korea (I put their saber rattling in perspective).   Such curious and interesting kids living here.
***

In other news, it's the middle of April and it looks like the first softball game for Mr. T's team is ON.  Ditto for Mr D's baseball game (only their second of the season after 3 weeks of weather delays).  Fingers crossed that the weather holds--47 degrees and windy, but sunny and dry.  You know how we have El Nino and La Nina controlling the weather systems some years?  I'm blaming this year on El Diablo.
***

Spill it, reader.  What would be the ideal designated room in your Barbie Dream House?

Golly, how I longed for one of these as a little girl.  I coveted it just as much as I did those ruffled canopy beds in the JC Penny Christmas catalog.  Never got either one as it happens...

21 comments:

  1. Probably a library. I really like books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When one of my girls moves out for good - they still tend to come back now and then :-) - one of the bedrooms will become a sewing and craft room. No more sewing in the basement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we don't have a LEGO room, but an area of our basement is devoted to them, as I mentioned in my previous comment. It is not a great area. ;)
    Having rebuilt this house from the studs up allowed us to create (somewhat) a few ideal areas. We never had a master bedroom/bath before and I have to say I feel SPOILED with ours. It is a dream. Also a dream come true? My "library". I love that room. Everyone knows that is "mommy's room". Still it would be even more enjoyable if everyone's stuff stopped ending up in my room. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love a room that would work for two purposes: Steve's sewing and a permanent photography set up, for staging and photographing food. I spend almost as much time setting up for photos, as I do taking them. It is really annoying and obtrusive. Steve doesn't have a space to keep his sewing machine set up, without child related disruption, so he is hesitant to start projects.

    Of course, if someone gave us money to put an addition on our home, I would no doubt build a screen porch/all seasons room on the back of the house, because I know my family would live in it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love a library-- just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have been thinking about all the effort the athletes at the marathon put forth, and how good and wholesome that is in the face of unspeakable evil.

    I love having my home office (it used to be in the dining room). If I'm dreaming, I would also have a library. I have been banned from buying any more books because we've run out of space for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sewing, knitting, crocheting, craft room. A place for all my scraps, tidbits and doodads...dream on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love an organized craft space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going all out with a full basketball gym on one side and a soccer field on the other. I am blasted tired of things getting broken around here! Plus, I would then get all of my current rooms back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have the Lego Den....and after Christmas and a birthday, we might need to build a second house! My mom desperately wants us to come up for a visit, but I won't step foot in NIL until I don't have to dig out my winter coat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just want "my room". A comfy place to sit and read or work on my laptop, a corner for beading/polymer-clay-ing, a Kuerig machine, a small fridge for 1/2 & 1/2, and lots of windows and light. This actually describes our master bedroom, minus the coffee stuff. The problem is that I don't have a lock for the door :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A music room. Big enough for all everyone's assorted big instruments. Upright bass, piano, drums and more....

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was the worst part about letting go of that house we wanted to buy a few years ago--it had a room that was definitely going to be the library. No tv, lots of shelves, comfy chairs and reading lamps. I even knew what piece of art was to go over the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a sewing room but a library would be heavenly. To have space to keep all my books, and not have to give them away to make room for new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love an office/studio of my own... I had one, but in the Great Escape I downsized :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had the bed AND the house and had forgotten what it was like to sit with that catalog until now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My friend and her kids watched the marathon from the mile 3 marker. She said that up until the atrocities, it was amazing show of all ability levels and humanity showing their spirit (runners with Autism, missing limbs, supporting causes, etc.) I liked a tweet/FB post so much that I actually put on my FB wall "If you are trying to defeat the human spirit, marathoners are the wrong group to target."

    ReplyDelete
  18. A craft/sewing room someday. I think I can manage either a job or sewing room, so for now I will keep working:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I, too, wanted the Barbie Dream House and the convertible. Not so much Ken, but I was young and his accessories were dull. I did have a Barbie wedding dress and veil that was a treasure, stored (when not being worn) in it's original box.

    ReplyDelete
  20. well, I think a lego room would be fun BUT I have both a drawing room AND a huge pottery studio, so I must sound greedy :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A writing room, with a view out onto a beach. Or a mountain. I'm not picky.

    Oooh, and if I could get a SECOND dream room, I would like a bathroom. And not something like out of All In the Family, like I have now, but a real, modern bathroom.

    *sob*

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.