Wednesday, May 15, 2013

back and forth

I'm back for a few minutes today, but about to go forth and torch a pile of dead stuff in a garden so Mr. D can till it up before it rains again.  I've got this long-term subbing gig for a 2nd grade class, so all my writing time?  Gone.  Garden time?  Vaporized.  Errand-running time?  Toast.  Chore time?  Demolished.  Blogging time?  Evaporated.

The 2nd grade class has been a real hoot.  They're good kids, lots of energy and rowdy, but mostly sweet.  We're managing to slog through most of the assigned curriculum and I devised a pretty fantabulous seed/plant unit for science.  Next up:  a health unit on nutrition.  If it were up to me, we'd spend most of the day doing integrated science and reading and writing with a side of math.  It's not up to me, though.  I do squash most of the work in so we can have extra time to study bees and why their hives have hexagon-shaped cells.  I do that by skipping phonics, which none of the students has complained about.  (Don't worry, I'm a stickler for math and cursive writing still.)

When I come home after 3:00 I can't decide what hurts more sometimes, my feet or my brain.  Wearing shoes all day long is a total drag.  I walk in the door with Team Testosterone and we hit the ground running to baseball and doing homework and wrangling meals.  I think this will last for one more week and then I'll resume whatever passes for normal around these parts.

Meanwhile, I really miss reading everyone's daily posts, so hopefully tomorrow night I can hunker down for an hour or so UNINTERRUPTED (did you hear that, boys?) and catch up on my reading.

9 comments:

  1. I loved working with second graders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still a fan of cursive too. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. ;)
    Hope this next week flies by for you and you are able to have some good recoup time next week. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life definitely comes first... blogging sometimes just has to ride in the backseat of the SUV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose with the wearing of shoes all day comes having to get dressed too. Ugh. I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to go back to second grade, if you are teaching it. I want to know why beehives have hexagon-shaped cells. Yeah, I could google it, but it's got to be a lot more fun to learn it with second graders. I hope you do get some time to sit down, take off those shoes, and read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great age group to teach! The bummer, of course, is that you can't just come home, put on comfy pajamas, put your feet up and enjoy a beer in the garden. (What? Don't you wear pajamas outside too?)
    Integrated science and reading and writing with a side of math sounds just about perfect to me. And we'll still be here when the school year ends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, I am catching up on all YOUR blobs etc, sheesh! So much to do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love integrated learning. They learn about bees... as well as writing (and spelling) with cursive, counting the sides of the hive cells (math), etc. Covers a lot there. ;) Teaching is so creative, and I can see it being challenging every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been playing catch up on my blog reading for weeks, now. Tonight I think I might finally get through the backlog of posts I want to read. All it took was leaving the house for a few hours!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.