Thursday, May 9, 2013

pots

When I haven't been stirring the pot on this whole fundraising debacle, I've been pottering around with all kinds of other projects.

I've got all kinds of seedlings patiently waiting bigger and better space to keep growing.  They're on the front porch in tiny pots I made out of newspaper weeks ago...I might have to bring them in tonight as the wet cold weather blew in this afternoon.

I cooked up hamburger casserole for supper in a pot last night.  I despise hamburger casseroles, but Team Testosterone eats it and some nights a mom just makes those concessions for the greater good.  I ate sugar snap peas and grapes instead.

There are tulips blooming in front of my house right now and a cardinal hopping around on the porch.  Mr. D's coaching a baseball game in the rain and the children are inside for the first time all week.  They were so overjoyed at getting their bikes back from the bike shop Monday that they've ridden them NONSTOP.  They're begging to ride them to school, but we live on a county highway which makes me so nervous.  I trust my kids, it's the other drivers who scare me.  Like the lady who tailgated me the other morning as I drove to school and then sped past me in a no-passing lane right in front of the high school where the 15 mph limit was posted.  Where's a cop when you need one?

In other news, I'm subbing for a 2nd grade class indefinitely.  I won't lie to you, the phonics instruction is dismal on my watch, but I'm nailing math, reading and science.  We've been studying the parts of a plant and a seed all week.  A little bit ago I dumped potting soil into a bucket to bring to school tomorrow.  The kids will each plant a seed in a cup and another in a baggie so they can watch the seed split apart and the roots sprawl out.  I just have to dig out some seeds to bring along, too.  Other than getting the little knuckleheads to quiet down when they need to listen, it's been a fun week.  Today was one girl's 8th birthday, so there was cake. And we went to see a Dr. Seuss musical for a field trip.  The bus ride was hot, a bit smelly and terribly loud.  I could drink a pot full of vodka after an experience like that, plus I'm not used to wearing shoes all day so when I return home with Team Testosterone my face has that glazed-over quality.

Naturally, when a girl earns pots of money, she looks to spend it.  Believe me, I tried.  Why is it when I have cash to blow, I never find any pretty things I love?  It's only when I don't that I run across cute clothes and whatnot.  What I really, really want is a kelly green cardigan sweater.  So far, no dice.  Ah well, there's always a greenhouse and a bookstore--two places I never have trouble finding things I love!

Spill it, reader.  If you had a pot of money to blow on yourself, where would you most likely spend it?  And where on earth can I find a kelly green cardigan?

16 comments:

  1. cardigan here at Land's End
    http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-fine-gauge-supima-crew-cardigan~234741_59.html?sku_0=::P35

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a kelly green cardigan from The Gap :-)
    I had to laugh at the glazed over expression after subbing. When I used to sub I used to just sit in the car for a few minutes at the end of the day, no radio, and enjoy the quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no clue on the cardigan, sorry, but it looks like Crazy Mom found one for you. I too only wear shoes all day if I leave the farm. otherwise, bare foot it is.
    The seed experience will be a blast. They will love it.
    as for spending pots of money???? I would love a sun room or even a nice covered deck, oh wait a minute, that would be a porch!, yes,I want a porch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's odd -- I never have current or popular clothes that are all the trend at the moment, but I DO have a green cardigan. It's really old though. As for money, I'm such a thrift store nut that I could have a field day going there day after day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's your kelly green cardi: http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-fine-gauge-supima-crew-cardigan~234741_59.html?sku_0=::P35

    As for money and how I'd spend it, travel. Always travel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Money to blow?. I would buy more craft supplies.. Colored vinyl, beads, paper and more paper! Oh and glitter..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Money to blow would result in me bringing home a generator and a milk goat. Yeah, I lead an exciting life. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the last week, I've gotten some nice checks for some of the work I did in March, creating my very own little pot. Which I've blown on new black t-shirts, plants, getting my blundstones resoled and a new pressure canner. Exciting stuff indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to offer to keep my eye out for a kelly green cardigan but I see you have plenty of leads already. Speaking of pots, I have started to make my own. Just your run-of-the-mill fabric buckets, really. I used fusible vinyl to protect cute upholstery fabric and it's holding up really well. Our lucky four leaf clovers seem to like their new home. My next venture will be for outside, using outdoor fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "my face has that glazed-over quality" Ha! I so relate! Elementary school is something, eh?

    Kelly green is hard to find in a cardigan, but it's out there. Keep looking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would blow my pot of money on shoes and boots because a woman can never have to many of them. For some reason I never seem to have enough anyway. And, of course, really good purses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life sounds busy and lovely in your 'hood. And yes, this rainstorm is something, isn't it? Crazy. We definitely needed the rain but the low temps I could do without.
    And yes! Every time I have money to shop with I can't find what I want. And when the purse strings are tight you can bet I see all kinds of things on sale. BAH!
    Hope you find your cardi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you delightful person YOU, shopping with ME for pots using some of all that :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hmmm, a pot of extra cash would definitely fill pots for flowers. I won't be able to garden per usual this year, but I will be able to watch Bill do that, so maybe, a new hoe to fit just His hands...snicker :) gotta loveum
    BlessYa Have you tried LLBean for Kelly Green?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wait, you can live in a house full of testosterone and still have pretty things?!

    I knew Lands End would have a cardigan for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Money to blow would probably pay off my recent trip credit card bill. Or buy a Gary Rith bit of pottery?

    Twice I have been the aide in a second grade classroom with a long term sub and I must say, SUBS ROCK. You come in and do the whole shebang but shake it up a little bit at the same time. And it helps the kids deal with change, which will happen throughout their lives.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.