Wednesday, May 29, 2013

sugar sugar sugar CRASH! part II

It was interesting to watch the kids' faces when I held up the ziplock baggies filled with sugar.   "This is the 39 grams of sugar in THIS can of soda.  This is how much sugar you drink."  They couldn't believe it.  They also couldn't wait to find out how much sugar was in their favorite foods.

We read the labels and learned that a serving size of pop tarts is actually only one pastry.  Not two.  Even though they come two to a serving package.  Ditto for donettes.  We also learned that pasta has almost no sugar and nacho cheese flavored doritos have less than 2 grams of sugar per serving.  In fact, we couldn't find a single food with as much sugar as in the beverages we studied.  Except for banana-strawberry yogurt.  Yogurt was the most sugar-laden food--on par with a Pepsi.  I was as surprised as the kids were at this revelation.

So, kids, if you want to reduce the amount of sugar you're consuming, what should you get for a treat at the ballpark this summer?  Gatorade AND ice cream?

NO!  Just the ice cream!  Drink water!

That's right, kids.  The moral of our nutrition lesson is: you're probably drinking more sugar than you're eating and if that's the case, the easiest way to reduce the sugar in your daily diet is to stick to drinking water instead of drinking soda, juice, milk or Gatorade.

I'm no longer working with the 2nd graders, but it sure would have been fun to hang those bags of sugar on posters and put them around the park's concession stand and on the school walls.  (I have it on good authority that it's all phonics and math from here on out between the end-of-year field trips and stuff.  Mr. G cried when he told me.  Ah well.)  Guess I'll stick to reminding the little buggers when I see them down at the ballpark when I'm watching Team Testosterone play their games.

Oh, one more good thing came out of the Month O' Subbing:  I did a writer's workshop with the kids over the course of a week and sent home their entire process from first draft to final typed story.  Last night one of the moms thanked me for doing the unit.  Her son came home so proud, she thought it was the coolest assignment and he really DID show her all the steps from idea to list to first draft to finished copy.  And one little girl flung her arms around me after printing out her story in the computer lab last week.  "Thank you!  This is the best thing I've ever written!  I'm so proud!"

Well.  This stoic old-timer's heart grew two sizes this month.  Who'd have ever guessed it?  (Green Girl hitches up her pantyhose, adjusts her hairnet and sniffs a bit while looking out her window.)

12 comments:

  1. The amount of sugar in foods and drinks is staggering. It's no wonder we are a nation of fatties and diabetics, Disgusting, isn't it? I mean, how the food companies have done this to us and how we have let them. *off to pick fresh veggies from the garden for lunch*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sugar in the soda is a great lesson. A writer's workshop is just awesome! I remember when my oldest child's teacher did this. It was a big deal, and we (parents) were called in to help (proofread? type? I can't remember what I did). But I do remember the pride each of the kids felt at having produced a finished product. Sounds to me like you are the best sub ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, "best sub ever" sounds about right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. summary: you are the most absolute and wonderful sub EVER, maybe even the best mom ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drinking water is good if the water tastes good but it also gets boring after a while..........lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a kid, I drank tea after school with two cubes of sugar in it and I had two biscuits with it and an apple. I think I survived that just fine.

    I would have liked a sub like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh. Those kids' reactions to the writing workshop made me tear up. My dear, you are making a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes, the sugar conundrum. I bought my mother that book "Sweet Poison" for mothers day and she's been ridding her house of sugar ever since she read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pop should be a controlled substance

    ReplyDelete
  10. The writer's workshop sounds fantastic. I wish they were mandatory in schools. We sent Edie to 'writing camp' for a few summers and ever since, every teacher she's had has noted that it's obvious she's had outside writing instruction. Those kids will benefit from that the rest of their lives! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did something similar in one second grade classroom. It was so much fun and the kids were proud of their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're ruining my cherry coke with all your reality-laden sugar baggies!! Why can't I have ONE yummy thing in life without it ruining my body??? WHhhhyyyyyyy?

    You sound like an amazing teacher - we need more like you in the world! :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.