Monday, June 17, 2013

blumesday

Yes, you read that right.  Today some folks are celebrating Judy Blume.  This is a literary holiday I can totally get behind.  After all, Judy Blume taught me all about feminine hygiene products and puberty and how that first kiss with a boy would be really weird and a little awkward.  She explained what it's like to be the fat kid in class, the lonely new girl, the odd one in and the young revolutionary.

Last summer I read the boys Iggie's House and while a little bit of the language was dated (pantsuit, davenport, dungarees), the gut message about fighting for what you believe in stood the test of time.  My kids have also read Superfudge and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.

Spill it, reader.  Which Judy Blume book was your all-time favorite?  I always like Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great because I remember not wanting people to know real things about me as a kid.  I had that false bravado just like Sheila, and I was the new kid, too.


14 comments:

  1. Forever...the first "naughty" book I ever read!
    But my all time favorite has to be Superfudge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I read more than one of her books, but the only one I can really remember is "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Cassi, that's the only one I remember too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too -- I wouldn't have known anything about getting my period without that book. Never got that 'lesson' from my Mom. So everything I learned came from reading, starting with "Are You there God?" Thank you, Judy Blume!! When I asked my mother what 'sex really is' at age 10, she handed me "Gone with the Wind" and said "everything you need to know is in here." And we never revisited the topic, although I read that darn book immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first one that pops into my head is "Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret" My friends and I sat around trying to figure out what the heck the belt thing was for with the maxi pads. I still don't get it. But I loved that freaking book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Are You There God, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, and Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great. My all time favorite is Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself. I don't think there are any of Judy Blume's kids/young adult books I haven't read at least twice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My absolute favorite is Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself. I think this book is responsible for my lifelong obsession with the forties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can you choose just one?? I read them all, and my kids have read many of them. Our book club once read "everything I needed to know about being a girl I learned from Judy Blume". It was one of the best discussions we've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard of Judy Blume but can't place her books in my head so don't think I have ever read anything by her

    ReplyDelete
  10. She actually spoke here yesterday at a screening of "Tiger Eyes" her son directed. I was offered free tickets, but couldn't go, as I was out of town. Thankfully, I had a really awesome weekend, otherwise I'd have been really, really bummed.

    Sally J Freedman is definitely a fave. I've been re-reading them with my girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved all of her books! I remember my mom had to sign a permission form so I could check Are you there God out of the school library. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a kindred Judy Blume lover in me. Are you there God is my favorite, and the Tails of a Fourth Grade Nothing/Superfudge books were my kids favorite read-alouds--they were wonderful at any age.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is this a different spin on Bloomsday? Which is on June 16th to celebrate the day the novel Ulysses takes place?

    I was thinking recently my oldest is about ready for Judy Blume and was trying to decide which book would be the best introduction.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.