Friday, June 14, 2013

boy heaven (the screen-free edition)

I confess, I worried yesterday when I added three instead of two pals to the mix.  But amazing things happened:
* Mr. T got a phone call to hang with a friend all day.
* THEN he and that friend rode their bikes for over 25 miles in a round-trip journey to visit other friends and have ice cream.
* Mr. B and his two pals tore around the trails on the four-wheeler.
* THEN they headed deep into the Back 40 to get muddy in the creek.
* Mr. G and his buddy tore around the yard shooting each other with unloaded airsoft guns--having just as much fun playing with imaginary ammo.
* The pool got a lot of use.
* Nobody complained that I ran out of bread--because I made ham and cheese wraps using tortillas and
* bonus!  No lunch crumbs on the floor or table!
* Mr. B's two buddies who are not friends (because they go to different schools) got along fantastically well.  So well that they made plans to meet up at the park later that night when younger brothers were playing baseball.
* Did I mention that nobody fought?

Sure, there was some mud and I picked a couple ticks off a kid.  But I have a garden hose and strong fingernails. 

I only had to sweep up a little bit of grass and dirt off the floor--the boys played outside ALL DAY LONG doing exactly what I believe kids are supposed to do on summer vacation.  I had a moderately productive day for someone with 5 kids at her house and Team Testosterone behaved responsibly, picking up the yard and driveway after everyone left.

If every day were like yesterday, I'd never want summer to end.

One of the moms asked me later that evening down at the park (baseball games) what I did to her sons.  They staggered in ready for bed when I dropped them off at their house.  Honestly?  Nothing much, other than lifeguard, prep some food and remind them to stay on the trails with the ATV.  

We're looking forward to a baseball tournament weekend topped off with movies, Sunday school and pizza (the delivery kind!).  Golly, life is good here.

19 comments:

  1. I firmly believe that exhausted kids are happy kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome day! No back 40 here, draw backs of city life. Maybe an adventure to the mountains is what our kiddos need :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a similar day, minus the extra kids. They didn't even step foot in the house, eating all meals outside. It is exactly the kind of summer day I remember from when I was growing up. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely the way summer vacation should be! Emma and her two friends got in the pool yesterday at 1 p.m. and didn't come out until forced to, at 6 p.m. One of those same friends is over today, and they've just gotten in at noon, and I bet they'll be in and out of the pool for the rest of the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what summer's supposed to be like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life definitely sounds good in your neck of the woods. Glad the guys all had fun and got along.

    Have a great weekend and enjoy the pizza.
    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me of what childhood SHOULD be like...playing outside all day and getting dirty! ;) What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, all except about the part about the tics! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me wish we were neighbors. Everything you listed (except the ticks) sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that's what you call a successful playdate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A tribute to your mom skills.
    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No wonder the boys dropped - I was exhausted just reading about their exploits! Glad it was a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's the way to rock the summer...rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like an awesome day! Kinda reminds me of when I was a kid and we'd play outside until my mom rang a cow bell to let us know it was dinner time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that sounds like perfection! Thank goodness, after the van and shed debacle. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is totally my childhood.
    Except with girls.
    And way less dirt.
    And bread-we always had bread (maybe one of the reasons I don't eat much of it now).
    And roller skates instead of ATVs.

    You are helping create some amazing summer memories for your boys and their friends!!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.