Tuesday, July 23, 2013

change

This week the baseball season draws to a close.  It's bittersweet, really.  This marks the 2/3 point of summer, which is sad.  We'll be free of a schedule, yet we won't regularly see people we like.  I won't have to keep up with laundry so people have uniforms, but I won't have regular access to the slushies for sale down at the ballpark.  (I'm telling you, those Sundrop slushies are among life's better treats.)



The prairie is in full bloom, but we haven't seen a single butterfly this summer.  Hummingbirds?  Check.  Bees?  Check.  Grasshoppers?  Check.  But not a single butterfly.  We're concerned.

I'm deadheading daisies, picking berries and peas, and watching the green take on a faint tinge of gold.  This sudden cold front worries me--I know it will pass over, but I can't help that panicky feeling that we wasted the best weather sticking close to home in order to play baseball and missed our chance to canoe and swim in Lake Michigan ...

There's still a lot of activity in our front yard--a cement truck yesterday!  But that shed isn't going up as fast as some people here would like. 


13 comments:

  1. Hope you have some swim and canoe days yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer's really almost over here! Moe starts school 8/7. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It suddenly hit me that school starts four weeks from tomorrow. *gasp*

    This summer is really flying by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As yours ends, ours begins. Soccer starts this weekend, and school starts on the 7th. We didn't have nearly enough down time for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A local friend of mine was just wondering about the lack of butterflies. We haven't seen many either, except for the little white ones. Today we did come across a beauty, with mostly dark blue wings, and it was injured. We brought it inside for some photos, then put it back out in a patch of flowers. I haven't seen any monarchs or swallowtails this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come to think of it? I haven't seen any butterflies either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the cool front here - I can throw the windows open again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know. I am not liking this cool weather. I need it HOT. We have so much more swimming to do!
    We've had a ton of butterflies here. I wonder what is going on in your 'hood. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where we live, the butterflies seem the most numerous in late August, early September. Not sure if it's like that everywhere, but I've learned to associate them with the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where are the butterflies???

    Summer seems to go so fast. My son heads back to college in just 3 wks, but it feels like he JUST got home! Time speeds up the older we get, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The kids grow up so fast and it's marked by the passing of the seasons (sport seasons)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sundrop slushie? Oh my. Yes.

    July always feels so bittersweet. You're just getting into the groove of summer, yet school is imminent ... nevermind that I haven't gone back to school for 17 years. Ugh. I still feel the need to get new crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been in the 90s here for almost two weeks now. Fire season is going to be nasty if it keeps up.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.