Tuesday, July 9, 2013

perfect opportunity

I mentioned recently how my Barbie Dream Job did not work out, but I firmly believe that God does not close a door without opening a window.  At least that's what my grandma wrote to me when I was searching for work after a semester of teaching in Podunk, Wisconsin.  Look what I found this morning!

Queen Elizabeth II is looking for a librarian (not, alas, the affable owner of a library van parked outside Buckingham Palace, à la Alan Bennett). The Royal Collection is for "an exceptional scholar and bibliophile" to run the Royal Library at Windsor Castle. The job pays £53,000 (about $80,000) a year, and the librarian would be expected to work a civilized 37.5 hours a week managing the "unique collection of 125,000 books, manuscripts, coins, medals and insignia."

That sounds PERFECT for me!  Now to convince Mr. D that the commute to England is just a wee barrier to overcome...

20 comments:

  1. It's just a short hop over the pond, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. God.

    I will fight you tooth and nail for this job. Do you think we can job share?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wouldn't that be sublime...
    love your positive attitude and your Grandma is right...
    if it's meant to be, it will happen, and wouldn't Mr. D and the rest of the testosterone pack love that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, dream job for book-lover and then some. We're all drooling....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah what a dream job but the commute would be a killer.........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, those books may not be very interesting and you may get bored with the job if there are no good thrillers to read. And think of all the dust and mildew, because I have heard that Buckingham Palace is very damp in places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wondering where Queen Elizabeth II advertises for jobs like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Commute...I'd love to live in the Cotswold

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first read the description, I thought it said "a civilized 3.75 hours a week." I guess 37.5 is more along what you would expect, but $80K for less than four hours a week would also be lovely. I guess you need lots of time for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, that job would be PERFECT for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, that would be my dream job too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the sound of that job, & it's only a short 2 hour drive for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unless the Queen's library consists solely of YA novels, that job would be sooo out of my league!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That ad is HILARIOUS. A "civilized" schedule, indeed.

    The window is open, hon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go for it! I bet she would be a great boss and a most interesting person to work for. Maybe she will send her private jet for you daily!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds perfect for you!! I can't wait to read about your new job.
    And how cool would that be on your resume when applying for other jobs in the future??

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.