Tuesday, August 20, 2013

four minutes

After the power outage I thought I did a pretty good job resetting all the clocks around here.  In fact, I know I did because I wanted to be on my game for when school starts next month. 

Now, the construction crew shows up on the job site every morning at 6:30 sharp.  They stay until 5:00 p.m.  I'm a girl used to a fair amount of peace, quiet and privacy.  I like to stroll outside to water the porch geraniums in my jammies and bedhead.  Enjoy a few quiet moments admiring the flowers, birds and occasional snake wearing only a long t-shirt.  Even flop onto a chair and enjoy a cup of coffee without taking time to dress or brush my teeth.  So, this morning after I got up at 6:00 and took a quick shower, I threw on my shabby bathrobe and padded out to water the flowers.  The drilling and pounding and wild beeping from large equipment driven in reverse hadn't yet begun.  Judging by the clock by my bed, it wouldn't begin for another 20 minutes.

That shabby bathrobe was coming apart on me while I reached high to water a hanging basket (because I can't tie it tight enough), so I clutched the front shut with one hand while thinking, "Thank goodness it's early enough that I can finish this job before anyone sees me like this--all wild hair and loose skin barely covered by plaid flannel."  Just as I got to the far end of the porch and bent over (making the most basic accommodation for modesty by holding the gaping top of my robe against my chest with one hand) the crew pulled in my driveway.  Two truckloads of them.  And I'm standing by the locked door full of horror.

They got a good look at a gal with bedhead in a shabby bathrobe that was barely draped across her lady-bits.  (Stupid tie front robe.)  I did the one thing I could do:  squared my shoulders and walked casually away from a dry geranium with a full watering can in my hand.  I disappeared back into the privacy of my house with a red face to look at the clock.  6:32 a.m. in the kitchen, 6:28 a.m. in the bedroom.

I plan to hide out here inside the house until they leave at 5:00 tonight.

20 comments:

  1. That was probably a very pleasant way for them to start the work day. Just think what a good deed you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had a similar experience when we were putting our addition on.
    Only I was 9 months pregnant, so the belly probably distracted them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Well if they are typical construction workers, you certainly don't have to worry about your bedhead hair! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no!!!!
    If it makes you feel any better you probably made their day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS is why I sync all of our clocks with the atomic clock in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, who knew four minutes could make such a difference in someone's day :-)

    Living in the country, you get used to a certain amount of privacy. Honestly, I quickly strip my bathing suit off on our back porch --we're totally screened by trees, and it saves all the dripping in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I'm sorry but I did giggle at that! Get those clocks in sync!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That story brings me joy.

    That quick triple-beeping of something backing up in your alarm. is a very perky alarm clock up here. We love seeing the progress they are making daily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This scene should make it into one of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HA! Been there. Ask me about the time I learned that my pajama pants become translucent when they get wet - like when I'm watering my front yard. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaha-this is funny (to an outsider who wasn't wearing the robe with the dumb robe tie). I'm sure the workers didn't mind either! :)

    In the interest of over-sharing stories such as this on the internet on someone elses blog....here's mine!

    When I moved into my house 4 yrs ago, I was so happy that the prior owner left up the curtains, and even happier that they were a dual type of curtain, with a thin white one and a heavier black out style (these are probably the real technical names).

    For the first 2 wks I lived here, I paraded around in very little clothes or maybe even no clothes, sometimes got undressed right nearby the window...and then one day a friend came over at night and said-your bedroom curtains are open. I said, I always leave the heavy ones open, I like to wake up to the sun. And he said: but when you have a light on inside, people can see right in your room at night.

    How did I not know this??? I had only been outside looking in during the day, and with light working the way it does-you couldn't see inside the windows.

    That was my introduction to my neighborhood.


    ReplyDelete
  12. :D we all need zip-front robes ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh MY...seems like the makings for a paperback on sale at the supermarket checkout!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That definitely made SOMEONE's day!

    Poor geraniums. They seem to be thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. he he, synced clocks won't do you any good when they show up early. Don't hide, that only compounds the problem. Show them you have moxie, and then ask for a new robe for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh well, you probably brightened their otherwise boring day! But I might buy a new house robe, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did I ever tell you about the time my contractor stood in the back yard shouting up to me in the shower? There was no screen yet and I'm like what is that noise and then I stick my head out and there he and one of the workers are calling my name. They really were early.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.