Tuesday, August 27, 2013

wild kingdom

Last night a HUGE screech owl perched on the edge of the MONSTER MAN SHED under construction in our front yard.  Oh, did it screech.  It's cry echoed through the house and I watched it step in tiny circles, silhouetted by moonlight.  Magnificent creature, it was probably almost 2 feet tall and I waited for it to fly away so I could glimpse its wingspan, I knew it would be impressive.  Then, 10 minutes later, quick as a wink, if dove off the roof into the field below.  I wondered why it screeched.  Was it calling to a partner or listening to its cry echo back as it searched for a meal?

We've had loads of toads and frogs around here. The other night a snake which lives beneath our porch steps leapt forward and snagged a frog in its mouth.  It was lucky, happening upon it and seeing the entire drama play out under the porch light. 

Most of the prairie is blooming yellow right now, and the grind of crickets and grasshoppers buzzes against our ears.  We've spotted more butterflies and a huge amount of hummingbirds this year, too. 

The wildest beasts of all are lazily hibernating on couches for one more week before their mother kicks them out of the nest for days at a time.  She's looking forward to cleaning out the nest, removing the food scraps and other waste matter.  When they leave, she'll stretch her legs to enjoy her own freedom in the wild.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed you saw a snake eat a frog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are still fairly short of butterflies here, though I have seen one or two. However, the nightly chorus is deafening --every time we have a friend come home with us and step out of the car, their first words are "oh my god it's so LOUD out here!". Unfortunately, it's been so hot that I've had to sleep with the windows closed to keep the cool air inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always a little sad when my kids went back to school after the long summer vacation, because I enjoyed that time with them so much. I missed them terribly on that first day back to school. I did appreciate having the time on my own, but was always happy in the afternoon when they came home. I may have been overly attached to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have has lots of butterflies as of late too. Must just be a good season for them. Bet the owl was super neat to see. We have hawks but no owls that we have seen or heard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a screech owl perch in the dogwood one night while we were entertaining just below. Wicked cool, as it gave Nature Man the chance to show off his wildlife knowledge. The hawks have been circling above, but other than scaring the chickens, they appear to be going after the squirrels (hooray!!!) and other small furry critters. It's been a gangbusters year for butterflies here - we may have gotten all yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our giant raccoons appeared a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have so many deer crossing our yard all the time. A very large buck with the velvet still on his antlers loves to come and taunt Todd. :)

    And we have an owl that likes to hang around our house too. I love their calls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let out a loud screech, too, when the house is finally empty.

    I kinda love the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was lucky to see several deer out in the park after dusk tonight. It was too dark to count the points but at least one was a good-sized buck; the others were either spikes or does.

    What a treat to see the snake in action!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I think I would have jumped at the snake, but then said "Wow." Nature is fascinating and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.