Monday, September 16, 2013

big and little

I'm utterly fascinated by the Costa Condordia today.
Following updates here and here.  I mean really, rolling a ginormous ship like that.

In football, the Packers won, on Friday night the hometown team won, on Saturday Mr. G's flag football team lost, but he played like a beast, snagging several flags and making a touchdown.  (We won't talk about the interception he threw.)  Mr. B had a bye week, so he took it upon himself to dumpster dive for scrap materials from the construction project.  We have a mighty pile of lumber in our garage now.

The Packer game was fine...however the new security measures were vexing.  It took us over 30 minutes to get inside the stadium because they allowed people in one by one--we missed the flyover and kick off despite being in line to enter the stadium 40 minutes before game time.  Over 74,000 people frisked and searched one. at. a. time.  Such inefficiency.  The terrorists certainly won that round as fans grew more and more annoyed at the wait and the morons clogging up the lines with their (newly banned) bags and whatnot.  They should run separate lines for people with stuff and people with empty hands I think.  And they should have more police with wands to "swipe" people if that's how they want to run the show.

Later my pal J and I spent another 30 minutes--almost an entire quarter of the game--in line for beer.  The other beer stand near our section ran out of beer.  The one we stood in line at would only sell 2 beers per customer, so it was good that I waited in line with her to "buy" 2 of the 4 beers for our group.   I've never seen such unreasonable lines at any venue before.  The "game day" experience makes staying home for next week's game seem like a good alternative.  Hopefully the people running Lambeau can sort out the logistics of crowd management soon.

That said, the Packers did win and we had a fun time with our friends. 

Now I'm off to delete a scene and write a scene and revise a bunch of stuff between those pages.

13 comments:

  1. This is perhaps not the right time or place to muse out loud that I'm just really glad I don't like football.

    So, um, I'll refrain from that.

    Glad you had time with friends, if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perhaps not the right time or place to muse out loud that I'm just really glad I don't like football.

    So, um, I'll refrain from that.

    Glad you had time with friends, if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw on the news about the Costa Condordia and thought wow what a bloody big job, it has taken a lot of planning and it isn't something that can be done in a blink.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it intentional, in a post titled "big and little" that your blog cover photo is REALLY BIG? Or is it a malfunction on my part?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes staying homes and watching games is nice and relaxing but you can't beat the energy of a live-game :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh...well, going to games is fun, but man, all the people, all the trouble, all the expense!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read an article in Sunday's NYTimes about how the NFL is trying to combat the problems of fans realizing they have a better game day experience from the comfort of their living room. Sounds like they still have some work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still cannot believe the scale of the Costa Concordia project. Sort of like your sports barn -- it's just more than I can wrap my head around. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just watched the timelapse of the raising --wow. And so much of it happened at night. Kind of fun to see the little boats zipping around :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been living in a vacuum... I didn't know it was in the news until yesterday (saw a picture online) and hadn't heard it was being raised!
    Can I blame work?

    Your game day experience sounds awful. Obviously no one thought things through! But still... GO PACK!!

    Also, I initially thought your green boots in the header were a pair of giant zucchini (still too many here).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure the organizers will solve their lining up issues, after that fiasco! They must have a thousand unhappy customers writing in to complain! Being at the game, whatever the sport, is the best fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did this happen? It's not like the Packers are the new team on the block. And Lambeau Field has been around for a while now, too.

    Sorry for the long absence. I blame Google. Getting rid of their reader has really made things difficult for me. Well, that and moving. Almost organized...

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.