Wednesday, September 11, 2013

enough!

I've seen this a few places before, have you?  Charming!

Speaking of Charming, SOA jumped the shark last night.  I had such high hopes for these last two seasons of Sons of Anarchy, but instead of mining the depths of what he's plotted, Kurt Sutter started throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.  I'm weary.  Disappointed.  Maureen Ryan sums it up very eloquently here.  Instead of returning to Charming, Sutter seems intent on dragging Jax and the gang further off course to resolution with more distractions and diversions.  Pity, that.  Perhaps FX should have given the show only one more season instead of two.


Still picking pears, and you cannot imagine how much other stuff continues to flood out of that garden of mine.  The combination of pear picking and learning to use tonfas in the dojo are keeping my arms toned...just in time for sweater season.  And everyone is asking for my pear bread recipe, so hear you go:

That Famous Pear Bread Recipe

3 eggs
1 1/2 C sugar
3/4 C vegetable oil
1 t vanilla
3 C flour
2 t baking powder
2 t cinnamon
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
4 C peeled, cored and chopped pears (4-5 pears!)
1 t lemon juice
1 C chopped walnuts/pecans

Combine eggs, sugar, oil & vanilla well in a large bowl.  Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda & salt in another bowl, then stir into egg mixture until just moistened (will be thick!).  Toss pears with lemon juice.  Stir pears and walnuts into batter (will be like concrete now!).  Spoon into 2 greased loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 minutes. 

And in case you have as many pears as me and want to use them up:


Pear Sauce

Peel and core 20 or more pears, dump into crock pot. 
Cook on low overnight. 
Mash/stir.
Eat, freeze or process as you would jars of applesauce.  No additional sugar or water required.

Spill it, reader.  What have you had enough of?

9 comments:

  1. I wish I lived near you!

    I've had enough of zucchini. Well, no, maybe not actual zucchini... but I'm tired of shredding/grating the stuff. Judging by the sign my husband keeps putting out in the side garden ("Take this zucchini, PLEASE!") he has also had enough zucchini.

    It took me a while to figure out that you were discussing TV shows. I think the TV was on twice in the past 7 days: once to watch college football and once to watch Obama's speech last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had enough of plumbing problems. But the plumber can't come until Friday.

    The pear bread and sauce sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hum....that's a hard one.

    I should say ice cream 'cuz I've been eating too much of it but even too much isn't enough ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like pear sauce and some zucchini bread, please. That's what my empty stomach needs right now. Could I come by your house and get some of that? Wouldn't you be surprised if I showed up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pear sauce sounds like an excellent alternative to applesauce. I have had enough of work. Yesterday was so bad, I seriously thought it might be nice to get hit by a car and sustain non-lifethreatening injuries, just serious enough for a hospital stay and legitimate excuse not to deal with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had enough of heat and humidity. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, politics, in general. I wouldn't mind if the news actually covered NEWS, but nowadays it's just yelling, opinion throwing, and name bashing. It's really getting old. Not that it always hasn't been this way, but I guess it's rubbing me wrong right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pear sauce! Sounds genius! And you can use the pear sauce to make a banana bread too! Gotta use up those pears. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.