Thursday, September 5, 2013

plenty

We have a bumper crop of EVERYTHING this year!  All these years I thought we had 2 apple trees and 2 pear trees.  All these years 2 apple trees disappointed me by never bearing fruit.  This year I discover we have 4 pear trees and They. Brought. Their. Fruit.  Plus, the zucchini, beans, tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers show no signs of slowing down soon.  WTF was I thinking, planting THREE zucchini in the garden? Every time I move the leaves I find another giant squash.  They seem to appear overnight.

So, I've been busy blessing everyone with my bounty (not my booty--that's another kind of blessing).

Two nights ago I dragged a wagon full of zucchini, cucumbers and pears through church.  I brought a bushel of pears out to the construction site and begged the workers to take them ALL.  please.  I posted on Facebook and unloaded another couple bushels.  I brought 3 baskets of produce to karate last night and tonight?  I'll bring a basket of pears to book club.  I'll bring another couple baskets to the boys' school.  I'll leave a load at Mr. D's office. 

On a related note, I've discovered a wonderful way to use up all those bread bags I've been saving.  People will take MORE pears if I leave bags by the basket.

In my research about pears I've learned:
*pears are the only fruit picked UNripe from a tree.  they're best left to ripen after picked.
* picking pears is a job best done wearing boots, not flip flops.  below a pear tree things are kind of fermenting and wasp-y.
*a pear tree can bear up to 400 pounds of fruit.  that's definitely true of one of our trees this year.

What to do with the bounty I've got left?  Well, I've canned pears before, and let me tell you, it's a LOT of work for very little payoff.  Seriously, 2 hours of peeling, boiling, packing and more boiling for a few measly jars?  Not worth my time.  I bake pear bread, a recipe that uses 4-5 pears at a crack to make 2 loaves.  I'll make a tart with some.  Team Testosterone is willing to eat a lot of pears, but nowhere near enough to leave a dent in the pile.  So I'll resort to freezing a bunch, since that's a more efficient process than canning them.

Last night this guy looks at all my produce and says, "So, you're a farmer."  Not really, I tell him, I just have a hobby that got out of hand.  "When you start hauling bushel baskets of stuff you grow, you're a farmer," he says. 


Spill it, reader.  What do you have plenty of these days?

19 comments:

  1. What about some nice crock pot pear butter? Pear sauce? You don't have to peel them....

    The tomatillos seem to be doing well. That's the height of my bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you send some to Michigan please? I love pear recipes in the fall - have you tried an apple pear salad with pecans - yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, pears.

    What do I have plenty of? Heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't dry them? I love dried pears. Tie them up in a baggie with a pretty ribbon, and you've got Christmas presents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had a fresh pear (from te grocery store) and yogurt for lunch... YUMMO!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief, that's a lot of pears!! We have a few pear trees. One Asian pear that gives us plenty each and every year. I didn't know that about picking them before ripe, though. Thanks for the info!

    We have tomatoes practically coming out of our ears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have apples but I would love some pears!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No produce here --wish I lived close enough to pick up some pears. I canned some one year, and I agree it's a lot of work, but they were really good canned --they didn't get slimy like peaches can. But freezing sounds like a great idea too.

    My parents' neighbors had a pear tree that leaned into our yard --an old, very tall, tree. We couldn't pick, but my mom picked up the falls among the wasps and usually made pear-sauce out of them. I didn't appreciate it enough at the time, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have two apple trees. I know they are apple trees because they had apples on them when we bought them, but haven't had any in the two years they have been in our yard.

    The tomatoes are doing great, so great the #$%^ creatures are eating them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hopeless in the garden but the only thing which produces plenty year on year no matter what I do is the pear tree, so snap!
    I make pear marmalade, pear chutney and pear tarts - then I take about a million of them to work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a bounty of "Not Enough of most things". The garden was very poor this year. Too dry and too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We didn't do well either this year. Apples were good-the two Gala trees produced a nice crop but the zook, squash, lemon cukes, tomatoes... bad output on all of those-don't know why either ~!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We didn't do well either this year. Apples were good-the two Gala trees produced a nice crop but the zook, squash, lemon cukes, tomatoes... bad output on all of those-don't know why either ~!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was a kid, we used to pick pears from the apartment's trees up the street. Lots of times, it was what filled our bellies :D with nine kids to feed, there wasn't always enough to go around. So I think it's super cool that you're sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree that it sounds like you have become a hobby farmer. :) I never really buy pears or eat them often because I never know when they are ripe, same thing with avocados too. I keep waiting for them to get soft and forget one extra day and they are rotten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A case of "Too much of a good thing is bad!" LOL!

    My daughter is having the same problem. First year of having a garden and it is OVERFLOWING with tomatoes, zucchini, and squash. She's brought some to the food pantry a few times already!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I canned fruit when I was a newlywed and poor. (It was free fruit or purchased at VERY cheap prices.)

    Now all I've got is plenty of STUFF around the house: mostly UFOs. If there was a prize for unfinished objects, I might have a shot at the trophy.

    I do have a lot of zucchini this year. Time to get off the sofa and great some more for bread and tonight's zucchini fritters!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love pears, but I can see how they would be a lot of work to can. We have a ton of habanero peppers. It's just about the first vegetable I've managed to grow successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could swap you some dill or basil or maybe even oregano for a pear or two. Rhubarb, maybe? I didn't plant zucchini this year, but I seem to have plenty thanks to a coworker with a zucchini jungle that sounds like yours.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.