Thursday, September 12, 2013

sweetness

Since I'm subbing tomorrow (4th and 5th grade combined!), I'm listing my gratitude today.  I'm so, so very blessed with good things.  Every day I'm thankful for something--a lot of things--but a few surprises landed in my lap in the last 24 hours:

* Mr. D had a business call Up North and brought home truffles, brownies and baklava from this place especially for me.  He's not one for romantic gestures, but the man knows the way to my heart involves my stomach and excellent chocolates.  Divine pastry works, too.  Unexpected, without ulterior motive and utterly delicious.

*  Mr. G and I have been playing a LOT of catch with the ol' pigskin lately.  I love playing catch with that kid, he bonds over physical activity.  Together we practice our touchdown dances and our madd ball handling skillz.  What really snags my heart is when he tells me I'm a good football player and asks if girls can be in the NFL?  Because you could be, mom, if you were bigger.

*  My three boys baking in the heat decide to sleep on the living room floor where it's cooler.  It's special to wake up and find them sprawled together having a brotherly sleepover.

*  Discovering that I can, in fact, have gutters on the barn.  It ended up being cheaper than the alternative AND will provide my greenhouse with barrels of water, making my entire enterprise more zero-waste and sustainable than I expected.  

* Working with an incredibly gifted young writer--and seeing how she appreciates and absorbs the feedback I give her.

*  A quiet afternoon to finish my own writing project.

*  Reading a powerful reminder of how God can use our screw-ups for good.  And then reflecting on how He's done it in my own life.

Spill it, reader.  What's sweet in your world?



13 comments:

  1. If only you were bigger... :)

    I've been trying to figure out which of our buildings would be good to put gutters to fill rain barrels. Glad you were able to get it worked out.
    Sounds like you had a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 13 y.o. coming home and voluntarily telling me about her day at school, which is a nice contrast to this morning's eye rolling and huffiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My almost 13-year old telling me that all her friends at school think I'm an awesome mom. I'm so happy that my daughter doesn't feel the need to diss me or hate me, as a lot of her peers seem to when it comes to their parents. I'm incredibly lucky to have such a wonderful, easy-to-parent, kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SWEET :) And in my world? I had a dog walking gig near my wife's office and we had a picnic by a waterfall and saw a blue heron... DANG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you got some good stuff going on this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's great! :) I think the sweetest thing for me (aside from the fact that Rick is bringing home pizza and I don't have to cook tonight) is that I'm finally in the swing of the new school year. It was slow starting for me to actually get in the mood. Now I'm excited about all the possibilities, and as usual, the boys are a constant source of entertainment for me during the day. Denny too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know for me coming out and getting positive feedback has been the sweetest thing. I forgot what a tolerant world I live in. I am very grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My new camera and kind friends who lend me lens to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the fall I HAVE TO make caramel corn...it's soooooo sweet ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww. I just LOVE all of your thankfuls. It seriously makes me teary. (maybe there is something wrong with me) But they are just such good reminders.

    I LOVE it when my boys ask me to play football (or any sport) with them. LOVE it. They always tell me that I'm the only girl they know who can throw a spiral. And side note, I wish there was a women's football league (and not the lingerie league- dumbest name EVER for a sports league). I would LOVE to play football.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's sweet that it's Saturday now and my whole family is home sleeping late and I get the first cup of coffee and sit down and read blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your list makes my heart full-to-spilling-over with happiness for you.

    Sweetness here included spending time on Saturday afternoon with the family (all 3 college students and my husband's parents, too) to celebrate my husband's 50th and boy#2's 21st birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, your boys sleeping like a pack of puppies! And your Mr. bringing you all those delightful treats!

    Yup, you are lucky.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.