Tuesday, October 22, 2013

3 things

If you read nothing else today, read this.   Noodleroux NAILS everything about pink, merchandising, charity and the smoke screen that breast cancer awareness has become.  We all need to be smarter about where we pour our efforts and resources when it comes to stuff like breast cancer and the environment.  Buying something because it's pink isn't harmful, but it also isn't helpful.  There are much more effective methods, but they take more work and don't benefit places like Kohls Department Store or the NFL Fan Shop.

You came back?  After reading her brilliant piece?  Wow.  That's dedication.

After reading what she wrote, I can't even try to be witty or wise.  But I do feel validated in reading labels and working towards a more chemical-and-toxin-free environment.

True story:  I mostly let the kids leave their rooms as they wish.  A little dust, dirt and grit never hurt anybody.  Once a week I call for laundry and wastebaskets to be emptied, a couple times a month I vacuum around the edges, but generally I let them alone.  Mr. T keeps his digs neat as a pin.  Mr. G hoards stuff, so his room gets sloppy but stays mostly organized.  Mr. B is a full-on SLOB.  Since I have to clean windows and that requires hiring a front loader to move some of their crap out of the way so I can reach the windows, I go in once or twice a year for a Big Clean.  Today I took on Mr. B's room.  I'm exhausted, but it looks great.  His drawers are sorted, the laundry is pulled, there are piles of Legos in two corners, but I got under the bed to vacuum and snuck out some worthless stuff he'll never, ever miss.  (Don't judge me.  I'm not horrible--I threw out junk like inserts for Cabella's from the newspaper and broken toys he never plays with.)  I rearranged his furniture to improve conditions and give him more floor space.  Now I hope Mr. B can maintain it.

I've experienced astonishing levels of luck lately.  The other night I got insomnia with only 60 pages left in Louise Penny's latest book, so I finished it after thinking it would take me at least 2 more days to learn the ending.  The guys came to close the pool, and I showed up at the house just as they were determining I wasn't home so they should leave.  I called Kristy for a haircut, knowing her maternity leave starts in a week and she had an opening that worked with my schedule.  Consider yourself warned and don't bet against me in a card game. 

14 comments:

  1. You are on a lucky roll right now. Best buy a lottery ticket right away. I am of like mind with you on allowing kids to keep their rooms as they like as long as no health hazard develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can still see some of the floor in all three of my kids rooms and I can still see the light on in the lizard tank so I consider that good:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't do much in the kids rooms. They had to do their own laundry and if they didn't have anything to wear, tough cookies. and that started by the time they were 8 - 10. They did however, have weekly room cleaning chores for the general population area of the house. Those had to be done no matter what.
    Sounds like you have been living on the good side lately. Good for you. I have known for some time that the "Pink" was more hype then help, so I avoid the show and go for substance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved her pink post.

    I don't do much in the princess lair, but I did do the windows in the living room today. And yesterday Pat & I tag teamed our bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When football comes on, my kids now say, "Oh, great. They're wearing pink. Mom's going to get annoyed." I'm with you and the others.

    Hope that good streak keeps right on going for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do anything pink. Not at all. When I support breast cancer research and awareness, I do so by giving to non-profits directly and ones that I know are out there helping people (because men get breast cancer too), such as the nearby university's amazing breast health center.

    I have the same philosophy about kids' rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been reading a lot about the pink stuff lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son's room looked decent a couple weeks ago. Now there are clothes strewn across the floor. I am dying to clean it up but he is 17 and doesn't like when I mess with things so I am trying to control myself. I do wade through the mess to locate dirty dishes and recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to take a cue from you and let my kids' rooms be. I mostly let them have whatever toy/paper/rocks they are hording and whatever kind of garbage they want in their rooms, but I have been insisting on them putting their clothes away. If they do it without repeatedly being told to do so then they get an allowance. However it has been a lot of nagging lately. It is driving me crazy. I may just say forget the allowance and do it myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slob. That was me! I wish my dad was as good natured about it - sooo many arguments about that room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pink-washing is a pet peeve of mine. "Awareness" campaigns go right along with it. Aren't we beyond the stage where we need to be made aware of big important issues? I'm not happy with the NFL's pink stuff, either. 5% of the auction proceeds will actually reach breast cancer research and treatment. Growl. Off soapbox now, it's time to move my pink t-shirts that actually MEAN SOMETHING into the dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I employed the exact same type of housekeeping as you. Funny, I spent all Saturday doing a deep clean. I'm FINALLY getting rid of all but the most treasured childhood mementos.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.