Monday, October 14, 2013

peek

 It's "peak color" here in my neck of the woods.  We got a good freeze last night and the air smells earthy and ripe.  Perfect autumn weather for a tromp through the woods.


This section has marvelously spooky old trees.


Duck Creek is full of foliage.


And the light!

 I sat still for a long time and listened to the chatter of birds, the snap of twigs and something rustling.  I'm guessing it was turkeys, rabbits or the three deer living back here.


It's quiet, but there are layers of sound and movement if you wait a few moments and let it sink in.


The autumn sky has a peculiar kind of brightness.  I could tell you without a calendar what month it is just by looking outside.


Check out these funky 'shrooms.  They look like pebbles, don't they?  I've never seen them before.


Always one of my favorite spots.  We need to clear those fallen trees so it's easier to walk around back here.

 More funky mushrooms. These were peach-colored and had veins of darker color.  Gorgeous, but I wouldn't eat them on a bet. 
There's something so grand about a huge old tree, isn't there?


Spill it, reader.  Does a walk through the woods settle you like it does me?  It's the best kind of mood booster I know.

16 comments:

  1. It depends on the woods and what else is going on. Tromping through without a path of any sort and without a guide would actually have me on edge, as I would worry that I was lost and that dangerous animals were lurking around every corner.

    But if it's a tame path, such as a nature trail, then I'm all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beauty of the woods and your photos certainly depict it nicely... :) I, however, rarely tromp through our woods due to rattlesnakes, copperheads, and now a bear in our area. Staying closer to the house makes me feel safe. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I walk on paths through the woods every day and I crave what it does to my mood - and I love the light this time of year too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love walking through the woods, and when I was a bit younger and had better balance I used to love best going off the trail. Some of my favorite memories of adolescence are walking off the trail in a large wooded area near a friends house --we were reading Tolkien at the time, so you can imagine how we were imagining :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply looking at these pictures and reading your narrative calmed me a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that archway in the woods with the light behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your photos are wonderful and convey the feeling of a walk in the woods well. I'd love to take one myself and smell the musky odor of the fallen leaves and mushrooms in the autumn air. That's is why this is my favorite time of the year. You are a lucky woman to have a woods so close to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could use a walk through the woods right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There aren't many woods here in central Indiana. I do love hiking through the ones we find, though. It is so calming.
    Of course, today we drove 45 minutes and found some woods to walk through. Hiking with two little kids on a non-trail along a massive drop-off wasn't exactly calming. :)

    I love that photo of your favorite spot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH that pretty meadow with the sun! I blogged much the same sort of thing today :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way back when we first graduated from college, Pat worked at this lovely nature preserve up on a mountain in the middle of Birmingham. When I went to visit him at work, I'd end up hiking the trails. I miss those days.

    Thankfully, the park across the street has a nice path through the woods behind it. Not exactly the same, but I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing like a walk through the woods on a crisp Fall day! Love the crunch of leaves underfoot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your acreage is so pretty! Thanks for sharing those photos with us.
    I love the daily changes in fall, the sound of the leaves falling, the scent carried on the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Growing up with woods and creeks and hills and streams and ponds has given me a huge appreciation for those types of terrain and how they can make a childhood into a dream come true. So much to be done, explored, rearranged to suit... Love your land and how it will be the #1 place in the memory banks of the Team forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fall in Wisconsin... truly something special. I just wish it was longer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fall in Wisconsin... it is truly something special. I just wish it was longer.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.